Men’s Hoops: MWC Power Rankings

By Cody Brunner

1. BYU (21-5, 10-1) Up next: @ SDSU 2/23

With the 67-59 win over Utah on Wednesday, it is now the Cougars’ title to lose. The versatility they showed in beating the Utes cannot be matched in the MWC. Still, BYU showed that its Teflon coat isn’t without holes. The Cougars had a number of opportunities to put Utah away early, but failed to convert when they needed to. A tough two-game road swing against SDSU and New Mexico awaits.

2. New Mexico (21-6, 8-4) Up next: @ Utah 2/23

New Mexico has been in a league of its own during the past five games, winning by an average of 25.6 points. However, the majority of those wins have been over conference doormats, such as CSU, Wyoming and TCU. Now the Lobos step into the meat of their schedule. After a road game at Utah tomorrow, New Mexico plays host to conference-leading BYU and perennial powerhouse UNLV next week.

3. UNLV (19-6, 8-3) Up next: @ Wyoming 2/23

Usually, after an embarrassing loss like the one the Rebels suffered at the hands of BYU on Saturday, teams want to get back on the court and erase the memory with a win. UNLV didn’t get to do that. It had to sit back and mull the loss during its bye week. Wink Adams and Co. will get a reprieve of sorts when they step back onto the court tomorrow when they face lowly Wyoming.

4. Utah (15-9, 6-5) Up next: New Mexico 2/23

Utah committed 25 fouls Wednesday while the Cougs had 13. Take that for what it is. Jim Boylen’s bunch is still playing some of its best ball late in the conference season, though. They weren’t able to pull one out in the Marriott Center, but they proved once again that they can play with anybody. Utah will need a solid defensive outing from Lawrence Borha tomorrow if it is going to beat J.R. Giddens and New Mexico.

5. San Diego State (17-9, 7-5) Up next: BYU 2/23

The Aztecs haven’t been the same team since Kyle Spain’s suspension in early February for undisclosed reasons. Lorrenzo Wade has had to shoulder the load all by himself and the result has been three losses in the last four games. Two more losses are likely on the way as SDSU faces the Cougs tomorrow, then UNLV next Tuesday.

6. Air Force (13-12, 5-7) Up next: @ CSU 2/23

The Force isn’t strong with the Falcons anymore. They have now lost four of their last five games. On Wednesday, the Falcons hung around with New Mexico for 20 minutes. Unfortunately for them, standard college basketball games last 40 minutes. They have a chance to get back into the win column Saturday when they play CSU, but will need a big effort from Tim Anderson to do so.

7. TCU (13-12, 5-7) Up next: Utah 2/27

Nobody looks as bad as the Horned Frogs right now. And yes, I’m including Colorado State and Wyoming when I say that. TCU recently beat the Rams at home, but needed a buzzer-beater to do so. Before that game, they had lost six of the last seven games. The good news? Bye week.

8. Wyoming (10-15, 3-9) Up next: UNLV 2/23

The Cowboys’ guard play has always been their strength. Their only strength. Those two guards — Brad Jones and Brandon Ewing — will need to play out of their minds to get a win tomorrow as the Cowboys play host to UNLV. Wyoming appears to be headed for the play-in game at the MWC tournament, where they would meet CSU.

9. Colorado State (6-19, 0-11) Up next: Air Force 2/23

It’s great to have somebody to make fun of every week. It really is. But even I want to see the Rams get a win this season. They have come oh-so-close so many times. Between two home games against Air Force and Wyoming, CSU’s best chance will be over the next five days.

Compiled by Cody Brunner