Too little, too late

By Cody Brunner

Updated @ 1:13 a.m., Feb. 24, 2007

Just when it looked like the Runnin’ Utes had found every possible way to lose a heartbreaker in the final seconds, New Mexico comes to town and invents a new route.

Trailing by three points with just seconds left on the clock, Utah guard Tyler Kepkay settled on a two-point shot and the Utes ended up having to settle on a 72-71 defeat at the Huntsman Center-their second straight loss.

“I think he was going to pull up (and shoot a 3-pointer),” Utah head coach Jim Boylen said. “It kind of opened up for him and he got a little too deep and wasn’t sure exactly what to do.”

The mere fact that Utah had a chance to tie the game at the end was unlikely in and of itself, considering that it trailed by eight points with 45 seconds left.

Thanks to a three-point play from Utah’s Lawrence Borha and a 3-pointer from Johnnie Bryant, the Utes found themselves in the game with 15 ticks left on the clock. After a free throw from Lobo guard Jamaal Smith, Kepkay drove to the basket and was fouled on the shot. The junior made both free throws to cut the New Mexico lead to 71-69. The Lobos’ Dairese Gary missed his second foul shot on the ensuing possession to leave the door open for the Utes, but Kepkay’s tip-in at the buzzer left them one point short.”Coach just told to drive in and pitch it out for a three,” Kepkay said, “I just got more open than I was planning on getting.” Despite New Mexico’s large lead late, Utah led for the majority of the game. The Lobos, who have now reeled off six consecutive victories, decided to turn up the heat with just over five minutes left in the game. Trailing 57-52, New Mexico utilized an effectivel outside attack, hitting three 3-pointers in a span of 1:28.

The Lobos finished the game shooting a blistering 57.1 percent from behind the arc.

“They were just making some tough shots down the stretch,” Boylen said. “I felt like we had better shot opportunities, but they made the plays and we didn’t.”

The Utes struggled with foul trouble for the second straight game. After committing 25 fouls against BYU on Wednesday, Utah picked up 23 on Saturday. Center Luke Nevill only played eight minutes in the first half. Sharpshooting guard Johnnie Bryant was forced to play a tentative second half after picking up his third foul early. Luka Drca, who dished out six assists in the game, fouled out with 1:08 left.

“It’s frustrating not being able to play continuously throughout the whole game,” Nevill said. “I had to keep coming off the bench so it was had to find a rhythm.”

Nevill finished the game with 16 points on 6-of-7 shooting to go along with five rebounds. Bryant led the team with 17 points.

The Utes’ valiant comeback effort didn’t go unnoticed by their coach, but that’s not to say Boylen was happy with the outcome. When asked whether he can take solace in Utah’s play down the stretch despite the loss, Boylen said, “Whipped cream on a turd still tastes like s—.”

Game notes:Utah shot 62.5 percent from the floor in the first half, but took only 16 shot attempts. New Mexico shot just 39.4 percent in the first half. Johnnie Bryant went a perfect 9-for-9 from the free-throw line. Bryant has missed only two of his 49 attempts on the year from the charity stripe. Utah finished the game with 14 turnovers, while the Lobos gave it away seven times.