This Will Destroy You to lay waste to Kilby Court

By Trevor Hale

Two years ago, This Will Destroy You was just another instrumental band making its way around the Texas scene, with plans to self-release a demo and sell it at local shows. Now, thanks to a few wonderful coincidences, the band is the new “Artist to Watch” and is being featured in everything from Rolling Stone to a Pentagon review of Hurricane Katrina.

Not bad for a couple of guys from deep in the heart of Texas.

This Will Destroy You caught the attention of Magic Bullet Records, home to a few of the better of indie/experimental bands such as Cave In singer Stephen Brodsky and Old Man Gloom, and the self-released demo turned into an official EP. The album made its way around the industry, scoring positive reviews at every turn and opening doors that the band probably didn’t even know were possible.

After its first tour, comprised mostly of basement shows around the Midwest, This Will Destroy You became one of iTunes’ top artists in 2007 and received the “Album of the Year” from the editor of Rock Sound magazine.

Once the word got out about these accolades, the entertainment industry began clamoring for a chance to jump on the bandwagon. This Will Destroy You’s songs appeared in skateboarding videos and as title music for various cable networks including MTV and VH1. The band embarked on a few national tours and eventually returned home to start work on its debut full-length album that was released earlier this year.

John Congleton, who has worked with such high profile bands as Modest Mouse and another atmospheric instrumental group Explosions in the Sky, produced the new self-titled record. This Will Destroy You will no doubt be mentioned in the same breath as Explosions but are a much more streamlined group, able to accomplish just as much, if not more, in a shorter time span. With seven tracks clocking in at just shorter than an hour, the band has found a way to not only recapture, but also expand upon what made its first release such a success.

It’s been a whirlwind ride, and it’s not over yet as the band plans to continue touring for most of 2008, including a European leg and a stop at the SXSW festival. This Will Destroy You plays Kilby Court Sunday, and it’s probably a good idea to catch them in this intimate of a setting while there’s still a chance. With the way things have been going for the band, This Will Destroy You is only going to get bigger.