Skiing: Shreddin’ Utes are the favorite going into NCAA Championships

By Chris Kamrani

The Utah Ski team is heading back to Montana for the NCAA Skiing Championships. The event is being held at Bridger Bowl/Bohart Ranch, where the Utes took second place in the NCAA West Regionals on Feb. 22 and 23.

The Utes will be the only western team with a full 12-member roster. It will be the second consecutive year that the Utes field a full roster at the championships.

The Utes finished fourth last year at the championships, featuring then-freshman Snorri Einarsson as the 20-kilometer classic winner.

“We are excited about this year’s championships,” said Eli Brown, director of the U ski team. “We have gotten through the season as one of the top teams, but the NCAA Championships is a whole new game.”

Ski Racing magazine picked the Utes to win the championships this year on account of their tremendous depth as a team. According to Ski Racing, the Utes have contenders in all Nordic and alpine races.

Montana State University is hosting the event. The NCAA Championships start March 5 and continue on till March 8.