Five reasons to get off your couch (3/13)

Thursday, March 13Backcountry Film FestivalBrewvies Cinema Pub (677 S. 200 West)7 p.m. $10

Winter Wildlands Alliance and Black Diamond will showcase the intense action of the extreme skiing scene and intense activism of its grassroots filmmakers tonight at Brewvies Cinema Pub. Grab your drink and raffle ticket, and take in an evening of death-defying athleticism knowing that all proceeds will benefit worthy causes.

Thursday, March 13 through Sunday, March 16Mexican Film and Cultural FestivalMegaplex 12 at The Gateway & The Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center

Events throughout each dayFree

The SLC Film Center — with the Mexican Consulate of Utah, the Utah Hispanic Chamber of Commerce and Zions Bank — presents a weekend of Mexico’s finest cinema, music and dance. Pre-opening films begin screening at The Gateway’s Megaplex 12 today, and an official opening celebration will take place at The Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center on Friday night. A schedule of events is available at www.slcfilmcenter.org.

Saturday, March 152008 St. Patrick’s Day Parade: Bring on the GreenThe Gateway (100 S. 400 West)10 a.m.Free

Once again we’ve reached that time of year when usually-normal people are allowed to prance around the streets drunk off their bagpipes, dress like foliage and pinch innocent bystanders without punishment. Yeah, it never made much sense to me either. Sensible or not, St. Patty’s Day is always eventful, especially in the midst of bagpipe bands, Irish dance squads, traditional folk performers and gigantic, green, drunk-driven parade floats. Join the city down at The Gateway on Saturday for the annual intoxicated-prancing-green-pincher parade.

Saturday, March 15International Film Series: “Wind that Shakes the Barley”City Library Auditorium (210 E. 400 South)3 p.m.Free

When the early morning buzz begins to subside, head on over to the City Library for a history lesson on the island behind the holiday. “Wind that Shakes the Barley” tells the tale of two Irish brothers taking up arms against the British in the workers revolution of 1920. Directed by master of political cinema Ken Loach (“Fatherland,” “Land and Freedom”) and starring Cillian Murphy (“28 Days Later,” “Sunshine”), “Wind that Shakes the Barley” is sure to do justice to the more sober sides of St. Patrick’s Day.

Monday, March 17 through Wednesday, March 26Everett Ruess Found! Two Weeks OnlyKen Sanders Rare Books (268 S. 200 East)All DayFree

In 1934, a 20 year old artist/explorer of the west ventured into the Utah desert, never to be seen again. In the 74 years since Everett Ruess walked away from civilization, his Thoreau-esque nature writing and linoleum prints of the natural world have earned him cult-legend status in both the art and activism worlds. It’s only fitting that the works of a rare mind will be on display at Ken Sanders Rare Books, Salt Lake City’s premiere source for rare and priceless art and literature.