The Word (3/13): Chronicle’s guide to the SLC music scene

By Makena Walsh

March 14Busta RhymesHarryO’s (427 Main St., Park City)9 p.m.$50

Besides having perhaps the best real name of any hardcore rapper — Trevor Tahiem Smith Jr. — Busta Rhymes, as he’s more commonly known, boasts a distinctively fast flow and a long history of dropping science. The son of Jamaican immigrants, Smith grew up in Long Island during the peak of hip-hop’s “Golden Era.” Crewing up with fellow rappers Charlie Brown, Dinco D and Cut Monitor Milo in 1991, the group released its debut album with Elektra under the moniker Leaders of the New School. Rhymes’ break as a solo artist came five years later with his hit solo “Woo Hah!! Got You All in Check,” which firmly consolidated this member of the 5 Percent Nation’s position on the international hip-hop radar.

March 18Zion IUrban Lounge (241 S. 500 East)9 p.m.$13

Although Zion I had already released two separate EPs by 2000, it wasn’t until their debut full-length album, Mind Over Matter, that emcee Zion and producer Amp Live began turning (and nodding) so many heads. The album was recognized by The Source as the best independent release of the year and launched the group as a serious underground competitor. More recently, Zion I have continued their characteristic innovation with the same DIY hustle that got the duo noticed in the first place in a collaboration with Living Legends member The Grouch called Heroes in the City of Dope (a too-short reference to Oakland, Calif.) and their fifth full-length, Break a Dawn.

March 22Tokyo Police ClubKilby Court (741 S. 330 West)7 p.m.$10

Taking Toronto by storm with their spastic selection of electro indie-pop and breakout performance at Pop Montreal, Canadian playboys Tokyo Police Club caught the attention of local label Brown Bag Records. Following the release of two graciously accepted EPs, the notorious North American independent Saddle Creek Records decided to release the boys’ debut LP, Elephant Shell. No doubt because of Police Club’s dance-inducing melodies and chorusy choruses, the album’s slated April release is more highly anticipated by urban-outfitted persons nationwide than the next Wes Anderson film (if that’s even possible).

March 26EvangelicalsKilby Court (741 S. 330 West)7 p.m.$7

Evocative of fellow Okie rock-and-rollers The Flaming Lips, Evangelicals produce winding, psychedelic, operatic and unabashed rock arrangements. The group’s 2006 debut, So Gone, created enough buzz to ensure a warm welcome for its recently released sophomore effort, The Evening Descends. With their weird and enthusiastic rock arrangements, Evangelicals belong nowhere else than forward-thinking avant-gardian guardian label Dead Oceans (home to the Dirty Projectors).