Sarkozy improving French, U.S. relations, ambassador says

By Andrew Cone

The status of relations between France and the United States is improving, said Pierre Vimont, ambassador to the United States for France, but there are still a few contentions between the countries.

“The relationship between our two countries has been changing for the last eight or nine months since Nicolas Sarkozy has been elected,” Vimont said Tuesday during a speech at the Hinckley Institute of Politics. “There is definitely an improvement and a change in the atmosphere of the relation between our two countries.”

Vimont credits Sarkozy, France’s newly elected president, for much of that improvement.

“What I think Nicolas Sarkozy has been trying to do since he’s been elected is to create a new atmosphere of trust and confidence between our two countries,” he said.

Vimont acknowledged that there are disagreements between France and the United States on the war in Iraq, but he cited agreement and cooperation on other issues including the war in Afghanistan.

“Sarkozy has been very careful to state that France can be a trusted ally and a true friend of America, and therefore we were there to stay in Afghanistan as long as necessary because that was a major test for NATO credibility and a major test for French-American relations,” he said.

Vimont said there are several major issues on which France wants to work with the United States, such as climate change. He said both countries need to develop clear, strong, serious commitments to get rid of pollution worldwide.

He also said immigration is a problem shared by the United States and France, as well as all of the other European countries. Vimont said it’s not just the final-destination countries that are suffering but countries of transit such as Morocco that end up getting stuck with many African immigrants once they are deported.

“The only solution that we will be able to reach in the end is, of course, through the economic development of the countries of origin of many of those illegal immigrants,” he said.

Ryan Larsen, a sophomore economics major who lived in France, said Vimont gave a fair viewpoint of the countries’ situation, especially when it comes to immigration.

“I think Vimont presented a very good argument on how the relations are changing,” Larsen said. “I think he did a good job portraying the United Nations as a key influence of French and American relations right now.”

Larsen says he saw some of the immigration problems France is having when he lived there.

“I saw firsthand the amount of immigrants that they had and some of the problems that arose,” he said. “I’d say it’s comparable to some of the immigration problems that we have here.”

Vimont also said France wants to work with the United States to fix the global economy.

“Because of the global financial imbalances that we’re facing at the moment (and) because of the oil crisis, there are still financial resources that are going to countries who wonder what they will do with them,” he said. “This is the problem of the sovereign wealth-funds that exist there. We need to work together to get the right sharing of financial resources and the right way to allocate those resources here and there.”

Vimont stressed the importance of the U.N. Security Council and getting more countries on board as permanent members.

“At the moment, you have five permanent members as we always had in New York for many years,” he said. “You don’t have Germany. You don’t have Japan. You don’t have Brazil. You don’t have India. We need to have those countries taking part in the discussions in the Security Council if we want the U.N. to be more powerful and efficient than in the past.”

Anna Kartashova

Pierre Vimont, French ambassador to the United States, leads a forum about relations between the two countries at the Hinckley Institute of Politics on Tuesday.