Men’s Hoops: Runnin Utes get another shot at postseason glory

By Mark McSlumpbuster

After further review, a few seconds have been added to the shot clock on the Runnin’ Utes season.

The Rest in the West Invitational, presented by The Mtn., is giving Jim Boylen’s squad another chance at postseason glory. Also making the trip to the RWI host city, Elko, Nev., is New Mexico, UNLV, Utah State, Air Force, BYU, San Diego State and the University of San Diego.

Utah is the no. 7 seed and will face the no. 2-seeded Toreros of Sand Diego. USD made a brief appearance in the national headlines after it defeated UConn in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

The tournament kicks off Friday at noon when no. 1 seeded UNLV faces Air Force at the Elko County Fairgrounds Arena. Utah-USD is the second game scheduled, followed by no. 3 BYU versus no. 6 Utah State, and capped with no. 4 New Mexico and no. 5 San Diego State game.

Even though The Mtn. is sponsoring and funding the RWI, the tournament can only be seen in person or on the Internet at each participating schools’ websites. The Mtn. will be auctioning the rights to stream the games live today at 7 p.m. The auction will be held online at www.themtn.tv.