Women’ Hoops: Mitchell heads to WNBA predraft camp

By Natalie Dicou

Leilani Mitchell is getting ready to face her moment of truth.

The Ute point guard, whom The Associated Press recognized as a third-team All-American following her team’s 27-5 season, is in Florida this weekend attending the WNBA pre-draft camp. Mitchell will participate in three three-hour sessions over two days. For Mitchell, the next couple of days might produce the nine most important hours of her life. During that time, the senior standout will try to win over coaches and scouts. If everything works out the way she hopes, Mitchell will hear her name announced from the podium Wednesday by one of 14 teams.

“It would be a dream come true,” said Mitchell of the possibility of being drafted. “I think it would be neat to get paid to play the sport that you love.”

Understandably, Mitchell has butterflies in her stomach.

“I’m just kind of nervous because I don’t know what to expect, and there’s obviously a lot of good players here,” she said.

Mitchell, who averaged 16.8 points and 7.5 assists as a senior, isn’t completely in the dark about the process. Two years ago, Utah’s Shona Thorburn and Kim Smith were selected seventh and 13th. Smith, who plays for the Sacramento Monarchs, spoke with Mitchell recently and told the hopeful draftee what to expect.

“She just kind of gave me the rundown on her experience and what she thought of it, and what it was going to be like, so that was helpful,” Mitchell said.

As for what teams might be paying close attention to the 5-foot-5 guard, Mitchell said she has no clue who might express interest.

“Some people have said that they heard this or that, but I don’t think it’s really anything about me in particular,” she said. “It’s just kind of, this team needs guards or this team needs guards. It’s really just kind of all unknown to me. I think for a lot of players here, we just come and play and see what happens.”

Mitchell said she has not practiced with official WNBA balls, which are similar to the old ABA balls except that they alternate between white and leather.

“I don’t have (a WNBA ball),” she said before pondering aloud. “I wonder if we’re going to use one tomorrow.”

Roughly 40 players will be in attendance, vying for a spot in what is being considered one of the deepest drafts in the history of the league.

Mitchell has plans to return to Salt Lake City on Saturday night. However, if a team tells her it might draft her, she said she’ll stay for the actual draft on Wednesday in Tampa, Fla.

Mitchell won’t be completely among strangers this weekend. Fellow MWC star Dionne Marsh of New Mexico will also show her stuff.

“Getting paid to do what you love to do, you shouldn’t ask for anything better than that,” Mitchell said. “I think if it happens, it’s a great opportunity. Not many people get that chance.”