King’s dreams still being fulfilled, speakers say

By Clayton Norlen

The S.J. Quinney College of Law posed the question, “Did Dr. King die in vain?” on Friday, the 40th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s assassination.

The answer from speakers was a resounding, “no,” as they reflected on the legacy King left and the change his activism created. Despite the progress made toward King’s dreams, those in attendance recognized the continuing struggle for racial equality in the United States.

Julian Bond, national chairman of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said although the United States has been successful in ending 246 years of slavery and 100 years of state-sanctioned discrimination, it is not enough.

“It has been just a short 40 years or so since all black Americans have exercised the full rights of citizens,” Bond said. “Only 40-plus years since legal segregation was ended nationwide. Only 40-plus years since the right to vote was universally guaranteed. Only 40 plus years since the protections of the law’s Constitution were officially extended to all. And now some are telling us those 40 years have been enough, to believe that is the victory of hope over experience, to believe that is the victory of self-delusion over common sense.”

The success of the civil rights movement can be seen in today’s political landscape, Bond said, noting that the country seems proud that presidential candidate Barack Obama is now campaigning in cities where 40 years ago he could not have stayed in a hotel.

King spent his life working toward racial justice, economic equality and world peace. Bond said these values ought to occupy people’s lives today, as well.

The all-day event also featured discussions and lectures on topics such as race and education, the Fair Housing Act and the balance between security and civil rights.

Walter Allen and Gary Orfield, professors at the University of California at Los Angeles, spoke about access to higher education for America’s growing populations of students of color. Both Allen and Orfield spoke about the ability of education to open doors of success for all people, but were critical of the limited access students of color have to bachelors and advanced degree programs.

“Universities are on the front lines in a battle for the soul of the nation and security of the world,” Allen said. “Colleges and universities should (envision) and model this society’s highest ideals. We must win the struggle for equity, excellence and diversity, the larger struggle for human dignity. Otherwise we fail our most sacred trust.”

Allen said factors that have led to limited access to higher education include economic and racial disparities, segregated K-12 systems and the elimination of affirmative action in California. Another factor that has impacted the success of students of color in higher education is the availability of Advanced Placement classes in high schools, he said.

After each presentation, those in attendance discussed the topics with the other people at their table.

“I’m a firm believer in open dialogue,” said Irene Ota, diversity coordinator in the College of Social Work. “If you don’t talk about these issues, then how do you know it’s there? And this has been a good opportunity to really talk.”

Aaron Schwendiman

Julian Bond, NAACP National Chairman, spoke at a seminar entitled “Did Dr. King Die in Vain?” The S.J. Quinney College of Law sponsored the event for the commemoration of the 40th Anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s death.