5K raises money for diabetes center

By Tayler Covington

More than 200 registered participants and volunteers came to support the Utah Diabetes Center’s 5th Annual 5K Fun Run and Walk on Saturday morning.

The race raised money for the UDC’s Treasure Chest Program. The program provides financial assistance for diabetes patients who can’t pay for insurance, letting them receive life-saving treatments at the Utah Diabetes Center.

Jill Kittel, manager of the Utah Diabetes Center, estimated that $10,000 to $15,000 was raised.

Many people who participated in the run were there to support a family member or friend with diabetes.

Katie Wiscomb, a junior majoring in sociology, has a 12-year-old sister with Type-1 diabetes named Molly. Molly Wiscomb, who won first place in the women’s 14-and-under category, was diagnosed with diabetes when she was 10 years old.

“It’s been really hard, but now that it’s under control, it’s okay,” Katie Wiscomb said. “It’s been really stressful, but it’s great now because she’s become really responsible and has grown up a lot because of it.”

Molly Wiscomb visits the Utah Diabetes Center every two months to receive treatments for diabetes. Katie Wiscomb’s extended family and friends came to support Molly Wiscomb and to raise money for the cause.

“Everyone’s extremely supportive,” Wiscomb said. “When Molly was diagnosed, it wasn’t just a burden for our family — everyone got involved. All the cousins know how to check her meter and give her insulin now.”

Another group was there to support an 11-year-old boy named Parker Prestwich. The group of about 52 people sported blue shirts with “Team Parker” printed on them. Parker was diagnosed with Type-1 diabetes in January, and his family and friends came to support him. Parker’s mom, Michelle Hernandez, talked to the crowd after the race about how their family has dealt with the disease.

“This is all still really new to us, but he’s doing awesome,” Hernandez said. “His second day in the hospital he was giving himself his own shots, just taking care of it. His only concern was, ‘Can I still play sports?’ As soon as the doctor told him yes, he was good to go. He hasn’t complained once.”