Guest Column: Refugees enhance our community

By Kristen Humphries

As members of the Salt Lake community, we are often blind to the diversity that surrounds us every day.

Salt Lake City is home to more than 15,000 refugees: Burmese, Somali, Sudanese, Cuban, Vietnamese and many others. They speak more than 53 different languages and bring a cultural flare to the valley. Many of these refugees feel the need to make a meaningful contribution to a community that has given them a chance to start anew.

In a recent interview, a local refugee, Taj, explained that relocation is often a long-term challenge for refugee families, but it does not compare to the persecution they experienced in their home countries.

Taj was born in Lebanon after his father escaped a volatile political situation in Sudan. Like many refugees, he lacked citizenship. After living in a refugee camp for 18 years, he viewed resettlement as a fresh start.

Upon arriving in the United States, refugees are assigned a city which will become their new home. For the first six months, resettlement agencies such as Catholic Community Services and International Rescue Committee help them get on their feet. They are expected to learn a new language, obtain new skills to use in the workplace, enroll their children in schools and make other adjustments that our culture expects-transportation, eating habits and family time, for example. Despite these challenges, they somehow manage to flourish after only a few years.

Taj loves the U.S. because there are “endless opportunities.” He has mastered the English language and will graduate this year with a bachelor’s degree in English and Arabic from the U. He expressed the overwhelming feeling that local refugees should give back to the community. It is on his mind constantly, and affects how he sees the world and his plans for the future.

Although many refugees have few possessions, they contribute to the local community in amazing ways.

Taj said it has been a “great experience to be able to assist and help others.” He has worked for the Asian Association as an employment specialist. He also had the opportunity to be a member of a disaster response team with the American Red Cross. He was sent to Wells, Nev., after the recent earthquake and offered his services to Hurricane Katrina victims. Taj attributes his success and ability to serve to the respect and dignity he has received since coming to Utah.

Not all refugees feel this connection to society, but there are many things we can do to support the refugees in our community. Often the most helpful thing we can do is acknowledge that refugees are part of our community by smiling or saying hello. Clothing and household supplies are always needed. Volunteers are needed to drive refugee families to doctor’s appointments or other engagements.

June 20 is internationally recognized as World Refugee Day. The WRD Coalition will be organizing a local celebration Sat., June 21, at Granite High School from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. The community is invited to celebrate the success of local refugees. The festival celebrates diversity through art, dancing, games and food. A soccer tournament begins at noon, and some of the best amateur players in the valley will be participating.

For more information about volunteering for the WRD celebration, contact Sara Oldroyd, USU extension and WRD public relations chair, at 801-468-3176, or e-mail her at [email protected].

Kristen Humphries is a pre-pharmacy student at the U.