Jensen: More needs to be done about China

By Matteo Jensen

The Olympic torch run is supposed to be both beautiful and inspiring. This year’s run, however, has been disrupted by thousands of protesters who turned out in Paris, London and New Delhi to protest the occupation of Tibet, China’s shoddy human-rights record and its support for murderous regimes in Sudan and Zimbabwe.

These agitators provide a vital service in highlighting the terrible wrongs committed by an oppressive regime, but they must do more. Protest must be more than a one-day march — it must create a movement for permanent change.

Protesters cannot look to their government to effect that change. The United States has neither the moral authority nor the economic ability to condemn China. The United States’ credibility has been stained by the prolonged occupation of Iraq, Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo Bay and secret CIA prisons.

Meanwhile, the U.S. economy has become increasingly reliant upon China. China’s cheap exports have fueled consumerism, and U.S. shoppers have dutifully demonstrated their profound patriotism through shopping. China’s offer of easy credit has enabled the U.S. government to keep interest rates artificially low and to spend well beyond its means.

Instead, protesters must become the agents for change. Globalization and connectivity make this easier than at any time in human history. It is not enough to be out on the front lines of the march. To create the desired impact, protesters across the world need to hit China where it will do the greatest damage — the economy.

First, protesters must use the Internet to create a vast, horizontal network. This is relatively simple and inexpensive. MoveOn, a left-wing political organization, has already demonstrated the effectiveness of this organizational model. It has been highly successful in fundraising. However, this organization’s greatest achievement has been to sign up millions of members and continuously energize them. This model must be lifted and applied on a global scale. It will take the effort of hundreds of millions to combat China’s global mischief.

Second, protesters must boycott companies from China and refuse to buy goods from China. This means avoiding key Chinese brands such as Haier and Lenovo, but it also means reading labels and avoiding super discounters such as Wal-Mart. Internet forums can quickly spread lists of alternative products produced in friendlier nations.

Third, and most difficult, will be to put pressure on domestic companies that operate in China and prop up the Communist Party. Some are egregious offenders, such as Yahoo, which has cooperated with the government to build cases against freedom activists. Others companies, such as General Motors and Apple, operate there in a more benign fashion — but by doing so allow the regime to continue its policies of oppression. All must be pressured to move or lose revenue.

The Chinese government, even with its vast (but increasingly devalued) reserves will be no match for millions of out-of-work citizens. It will be up to them to bring change to their own government by increasing its transparency, guaranteeing human rights and creating political competition.

After the rousing protest marches we have seen over the last two weeks, it is essential to do more than return home and continue providing material support for China. Protest is invaluable to raising awareness. However, it will not bring about immediate change. Building a large organization and maintaining long-term commitment to the cause will pressure China to enact vital reforms — and possibly even pave the way for a free Tibet.