Sewell: Don’t wait for this nation to fall apart

By James Sewell

In linguistics, there is a formal notion that applies to certain kinds of operations we use when formulating what we want to say, and we call it “procrastination.” Essentially, it says we put off doing anything until the last possible moment to save computational strains on our brains.

This concept appealed to me immediately, as it accurately reflects my general outlook. I am a procrastinator by nature. So it’s no surprise that with two weeks left in the semester, all the things I should have been doing all along have suddenly and forcefully presented themselves front and center in my gray matter, threatening to turn my hair gray as well.

Although I’m prone to rationalizing my own behavior, I’m brought up short by the fact that this tendency to procrastinate is universal — not only within the realm of linguistics but the realms of politics, economics and ecology.

We put off campaign finance reform until our political system is overtaken by the corrupting power of special-interest money. We put off meaningful economic reform until it looks like we might be in real trouble — by which time, of course, we are actually in real trouble. We put off meaningful measures to combat global warming (or climate change, if you prefer euphemism to accuracy) until the Arctic Ocean becomes the new summer hot spot for the well-heeled adventure traveler.

Although I’m making personal strides toward alleviating my own harmful tendencies, I don’t see much evidence that we, as a nation — or more importantly, as a planet — are doing enough (if indeed anything) to alleviate our common troubles. Sure, we’ve got Al Gore working the climate crowd, and Nader is picking his nits in the consumer advocacy sector. But Hillary botched health care once already. Bush kiboshed Kyoto. What, or who, is next?

Here in Salt Lake City, every winter brings the dreaded inversion, when the air becomes virtually viscous with small, particulate matter, smog and who knows what else. Imagine if, in 10 years, inversion became the norm, and a day of clear air were even more precious. If you can’t imagine it, don’t worry — you’ll see it firsthand soon enough.

Think that health care isn’t a problem? Wait until your student health insurance plan is no longer available once you leave the academy and tread out into “the real world.”

Think that economic policy is for wonks and weenies? Wait until you find out how much that degree is really worth, when living-wage jobs go the way of the dodo and you find yourself back behind the cash register struggling to pay those egregious health insurance premiums, your rent and buy enough food for at least one meal a day.

This might sound dark, dreary and not in keeping with the mood of springtime, rebirth, love blossoming, yada yada yada. Although this picture I’ve painted might not come to fruition in exactly these ways, the point is that procrastination as a global mindset will lead to more trouble down the road. It’s never too late until it’s too late. Act now.