Summer getaways: Grand Canyon is unforgettable

By Cody Brunner

You probably think you know what the Grand Canyon entails — a few rocks, a big hole, maybe a little agua depending on your vantage point.

Many make the journey with their parents at a young age. Some leave the natural wonder with a sense of accomplishment, others knowing that there is a greater power out there.

But none of them has actually experienced the Grand Canyon. None of them has actually experienced its majestic beauty and awesome power.

That’s because the rim can only offer so much. The true power of nature lies thousands and thousands of feet below on the Colorado River. Few people get the chance to admire the Grand Canyon’s beauty and take it all in from this angle while floating down the serene Colorado.

From personal experience, I can tell you that there is nothing else like it. If you can afford a rafting trip — or have any way of scamming a trip — do it. It’s something you will never forget.

From the adrenaline junkie youth to the laid-back grandma, there’s something in it for everybody. Around one corner is a 100-foot waterfall and around the next is a two-mile hike to American Indian granaries. There are class-10 rapids, side streams to swim in and literally millions of places to explore.

I thought it was corny and cliché the first time I heard somebody say that God must exist after going through the Grand Canyon on the Colorado River, but I can see where they are coming from. The scenery is absolutely unbelievable — and this is coming from a guy who didn’t even notice the Wasatch Mountains for the first three years of school. If it rains, the view only gets more majestic as rim falls pour water into the Colorado River.

You get to see and experience, literally, millions of years of geology, ecology and archaeology. Boatmen ensconce passengers with stories of how the great canyon was initially formed, what species are indigenous to the area and the early traversers of the area.

Despite all of the great beauty of the canyon, perhaps the best aspect of the river rafting is the relationships you build with the other passengers and the crew. Most trips last eight days and you spend almost every minute around each other, so it’s easy to build long-lasting relationships.

So, go ahead and empty out next year’s tuition fund. Scratch that Bahama savings account you’ve been accumulating over the past couple of years. Believe me, if you put it toward a river rafting trip, the experience will be more educating and gratifying that any school or vacation.