Summer getaways: Heber Valley is the bomb

By Tim Haslam

For those who want to get away from Salt Lake Valley but don’t want to drive for hours and hours, Heber City, Utah, is the place for you.

Located 40.2 miles southeast of the U, Heber City has a wide variety of fun things to do, all set with the majestic Wasatch Mountains as the backdrop. Whether going there for the day or a week, Heber City has unique events and places, which make this vacation spot a must for everyone’s summer vacation list.

For those who like to get outdoors, the Wasatch Mountain State Park is four miles northwest of Heber City. The park features two beautiful, 18-hole golf courses that provide scenic views of the Heber Valley. Campgrounds and trails abound in the park, allowing for hikers, horseback riders and bikers to get out and explore the Wasatch Mountains.

If you managed to make a sizable profit on returning your textbooks, there is no better place to spend it than on a hot air balloon ride over the Heber Valley. Once in the air, not only will you get a panoramic view of the Heber Valley but also a great view of the expansive Wasatch Mountain range.

Another popular place to visit is the Homestead Crater at the Homestead Resort. The crater is a 55-feet-tall, beehive-shaped, limestone rock that nature has hollowed out and filled with 90-degree water. A deck has been built to access the warm, crystal-clear water where visitors can swim, scuba dive, snorkel or just soak. The crater is the only warm-water scuba diving destination in the continental United States.

For those who want to spend their summer fishing for brown trout and “bows,” the Provo River and Jordanelle Reservoir provide an ample opportunity. The Provo River cuts through the heart of the Heber Valley and is a popular destination for amateurs and professional fly-fishermen who want to catch big fish but also want to enjoy the scenery.

Whether you like dropping worms from the shore or trolling on a boat, Jordanelle Reservoir, located just outside of Heber City, is a great place to catch fish and be with family and/or friends.

One of the most popular things to do in Heber City is to ride the historic “Heber Creeper.” The “Heber Creeper” is a train that will take passengers through farmlands along the Provo River, eventually stopping at Vivian Park in Provo Canyon. The train also has events, such as Comedy Murder Mysteries, Raft the River in the summer or the Polar Express train in the winter.

Even if your summer plans don’t include a vacation, a Sunday drive through Heber City would be well worth your time and sanity.