Briefs: Ute skier nominated to U.S. team

By Chris Kamrani

The U ski team is losing its best slalom team skier, but not to another school.
Sophomore Tague Thorson has accepted a nomination for the 2009 U.S. Ski Team.
The official national team has not been announced, and will not be until this summer, but Thorson informed the Utah coaching staff of his decision.
“It’s still kind of sinking in,” Thorson said. “This is something I’ve worked towards for a long time. The school gave me a chance to keep competing at the level I wanted to compete at. It’s an opportunity a lot of schools don’t give college skiers. It was good.”
Thorson is currently ranked 89th in the world in slalom and also dominated the slalom during his 2008 collegiate season.
Finishing top overall in men’s alpine at the NCAA Championship qualifier, Thorson saw his best time go all for naught as he was disqualified for hooking a gate.
“We are disappointed to lose Tague but this is a victory for him, reaching his lifetime goals,” Director of Skiing Eli Brown said. “It’s also a victory for our program, to send an athlete on to the next level. We’re proud of the program we have put together and hopefully we can do this again in the future.”