Primary Children’s telethon raises money and awareness

By Sylvia O’Hara

Primary Children’s Medical Center raised almost $2.5 million during its 26th annual telethon over the weekend.

The hospital will use donations to provide medical care to families unable to pay for medical treatment.

Sharon Goodrich, telethon director, said a tradition of giving allows the hospital to function.

The center raised about $2.2 million during the telethon last year, said Amber Nielsen, communications specialist for the Medical Center Foundation.

“The community really came through,” Nielsen said. “Corporate donors like Smith’s helped a lot.”

Smith’s donated $900,000 to the telethon.

The event was broadcast live and aired Saturday and Sunday on KSL, which donated the airtime.

“It’s not just that we want to help, but we have to help,” said KSL General Manager Greg James.

It is a chance for the patients and their families to tell their story, James said, and a chance for KSL to cover good news. KSL staff members volunteered their time to help with the fundraiser.

In addition to the broadcast staff, about 400 volunteers participated in the telethon. While some of them were answering nearly 3,000 phone calls, others were part of the year-round organization of the event.

Joe Mott, CEO for the hospital, credited the success of the telethon to the community.

He also said the advancement of Primary Children’s is a “mutual advantage” to the U. The partnership between the hospital and the U provides 70 resident medical students with firsthand experience in treating a range of childhood illnesses and injuries. The center benefits from the resources and research provided by the U.