U awards scholarships to west side students

By Isabella Bravo

Until University Neighborhood Partners awarded Richard Montenegro a scholarship, he didn’t know how he was going to afford classes at the U.

“I was on my own. I didn’t know how I was going to make it this year,” said Montenegro, a junior in speech pathology. “Financial aid is such a relief-(now) I can focus on my studies.”

The UNP and the U Alumni Association received more than 50 applications this year for two available scholarships. When they realized how many qualified applicants there were, the UNP Scholarship Board and the Alumni Association Service Board decided to dispense five additional scholarships.

Former U president Bernie Machen started the University Neighborhood Partners six years ago after learning that the fewest number of graduates came from west-side Salt Lake neighborhoods, in the 84106 and 84104 zip codes. The purpose of the UNP is to increase access to higher education for students in the city who would usually struggle to attend.

John Fackler, director of business relations for the Alumni Association, said that they found room in the budget to add the other scholarships this year.

The UNP and Alumni Association awarded six U students and one Salt Lake Community College student scholarships ranging from $2,000 to $4,000 on June 17 at the fifth annual Partners in the Park event.

The UNP invited the surrounding neighborhoods to join the recipients and their families for the reception and scholarship awarding.

Joél Arvizo, the UNP manager in charge of Youth Education and Success, said that it is important to have neighborhoods from the west side present.

“This is a community achievement. The community needs to see some of the opportunities available to them,” Arvizo said.

U President Michael Young attended the event and said that he wanted to see members of the younger generation attending the U after they graduate from high school.

“I see a lot of young soccer players in the crowd. In a few years I want to see all of you up here,” Young said. “I hope one day everybody will have on a Utah shirt and have a college education.”

Some of the scholarship recipients are immigrants and all of them said English is their second language.

Andrea Garcia, one of the scholarship recipients, volunteers at the Salt Lake Bicycle Collective and emigrated from Peru.

Garcia said she plans to attend medical school after she finishes her bachelor’s degree at the U and that the scholarship will help her achieve her goals

“I’m going to college. Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to,” she said.

Anna Kartashova

Rosa Hinojosa, an East High School graduate who is entering the U’s nursing program in the fall, received a $4,000 scholarship for her studies from the University Neighborhood Partners at Jordan Park.