A sports bar for sports fans

By Chase Straight

In 2005, Dan Simonsen and Ken Densmore decided they wanted to create the ultimate sports bar. Already owners of the successful Lumpy’s Highland location, they realized they needed more space and amenities to accomplish this goal and thus, Lumpy’s Downtown was born.

Widely known for elaborate and festive parties, Lumpy’s plans to outdo itself on its three year anniversary fiesta by hosting a ménage–trois themed pajama party on August 15, accompanied by burlesque dancers and supplemented with $3 drink specials. It’s certainly a fitting amount of fanfare for the celebration of the location’s longevity.

While three years may not seem like a long time, in the bar industry it is an incredible feat-six months is usually a sizeable accomplishment. Bar-goers are a fickle bunch, blowing in the wind toward whatever booze oasis awaits. It takes heart, character and bad-ass amenities to keep a bar afloat. Lumpy’s, fortunately, has all of this and a little bit more.

Every booth on the main floor has its own HD TV, so if you’re into underwater basket-weaving or some other obscure sport that didn’t quite make it to one of the 11 big screens on the wall, you’re in luck. Also, Lumpy’s has full access to the Setanta sports channels on DirectTV, which means all the Manchester United fans out there will be able to catch just about every dribble Christiano Ronaldo makes this season.

The opportunity to get drunk and watch sports on big TVs isn’t the only thing that keeps patrons coming back (you can do the same thing at your rich uncle’s house). The upstairs hosts a pleasantly crowded dance floor that’s especially hot Friday and Saturday nights when the house song-mixer, DJ Cloud Nine, bumps those funky-fresh beats.

“They always have a great DJ, and there are always lots of beautiful women who are ready to dance and have a good time,” said Christian Sandberg, a senior at the U.

For the drunken child in all of us, Lumpy’s boasts a downstairs game room packed with diversions like pool tables, foosball and air hockey. They’re even planning on throwing in some “California Speed” style racing games.

That’s just the basic skin and bones of the place-it’s the atmosphere and character that make it the hot spot it is. The staff is handpicked to represent the best customer service you can find in a nightclub in Salt Lake City. The security detail is also done correctly. They’re gentle but stern, able to make sure that no one spoils the party but allow everyone to have a carefree good time. It’s all in the name of creating a fun atmosphere for a flashy night out.

“We have a classy clientele, and people recognize that,” said Rochelle Campbell, Lumpy’s marketing director.

Lumpy’s has also caught the eye of some Utah athletes-namely the Utah Jazz-as well as just about every visiting team that comes to our happy little beehive home. It’s no secret that after a home game it’s easy to bump shoulders with some big-name jocks, and many have even signed their respective artistic replica jerseys that decorate the walls on the main floor.

The connection with local athletic groups has even transcended into the college sphere. The bar will begin hosting U-themed weekends this fall. Pep rallies will be held Fridays before U home football games, and they’ll have buses with full bars to shuttle football fans to and from Rice-Eccles Stadium. It’ll be a great place to get riled up on the way to the game and on the way back from the game–because the one place you can’t actually get a drink is at the game.

Like a wealthy stock portfolio, the key to Lumpy’s success is its diversity. Not just a sports bar, not just a night club and not just a party scene, Lumpy’s downtown has been keepin’ it fresh for the last three years.

Now it’s time to celebrate, so head to Lumpy’s on August 15. Be prepared to have intense amounts of fun-not that you’ll remember any of it.