Carlston: Students need to overcome economic intimidation

By Liz Carlston

Many students in Utah are intimidated by the prospect of graduating into an economic recession, particularly when the media portrays economic conditions with a doomsday outlook.

In reality, the media is doing graduating students a tremendous disservice because economic conditions are really not that bad. Students should not allow themselves to be intimidated-there is significant opportunity in the job market.

The doomsday economic situation portrayed by the media has been blown out of proportion. There are no excuses for recent graduates not to get employment.

According to Utah Workforce Services, unemployment in Utah, at 3.2 percent, is trailing the national average at 5.5 percent. The highest unemployment rate Utah has seen in the last 25 years was 9.7 percent in 1983.

Sure, the economy might not be at its peak, but ask any economist and they’ll tell you that the market ebbs and flows in a cyclical pattern. Unemployment certainly isn’t high enough to justify the outlook of recent fear-mongering, and students certainly shouldn’t be discouraged or intimidated by the media’s projections.

According to the Job Outlook 2008 survey of college recruiters shows that employers plan to hire 16 percent more new college graduates in 2008 than they did in 2007.

Last year, the U awarded more than 7,000 degrees with some 28,000 students enrolled in classes. In terms of your time and dollar, getting a degree isn’t cheap, but it’s definitely worth the investment. For instance, an MBA from the David Eccles School of Business yields an average entry level salary of $60,000; the average cost for the degree is about $25,000.

Students who leave with a bachelor’s degree in elementary education are looking at a starting salary of around $30,000. The average cost of the degree is $19,000, which accounts for 7.5 percent annual tuition increases.

The trick, of course, is positioning yourself so you can land employment when your schooling is complete.

The Career Services Center has moved away from job placement and passed that responsibility on to students. However, it still offers assistance by providing empowering tools and resources to help students find a job that fits well with their personality. The Career Services Web site, www.careers.utah.edu, is especially helpful in pointing out what to expect in terms of salary and job responsibilities. Graduates and freshmen alike will find the self-assessment tools valuable in determining the best major and career for them.

Many students struggle with landing a job because they lack confidence. They fear being rejected by a potential employer and stand behind the excuse of what the media says about the nation’s sluggish economy.

Students, in the face of intimidation, should find employment and help contribute to the economy. In fact, by not contributing or spending, students only increase the odds of a serious economic downturn. They should graduate and find employment, especially when there’s only a 3.2 percent chance of ending up unemployed. They should utilize the career center to can make employment goals.

The chances of silencing every economy doomsday prophet are low, but students and the workforce should not allow themselves to be intimidated.