U alumnus appointed to Board of Regents

By Ryan Shelton, Asst. News Editor

U alumnus Robert Marquardt has a history of supporting higher education in Utah.

Lately, people have started to take notice of Marquardt’s dedication to higher education, most notably, Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr., who appointed him to the Utah Board of Regents in early August.

Marqaurdt replaced former board member Patti Harrington, who was appointed as a regent in 2007. She submitted a letter of resignation to the governor in early August, citing trouble balancing her professional life with her position on the board.

Marquardt chairs the National Advisory Board for the David Eccles School of Business and sits on Weber State University’s National Advisory Committee. He also served as a member of the board of trustees at WSU from 1996 to 2003 and chaired that board starting in 1999.

Marquardt, the president and CEO of Management and Training Corp., a Centerville company that specializes in training government employees, said he wasn’t aware that he was being considered for an opening on the board, and said being selected for the position is a great honor.

“I don’t have any particular agenda to push,” Marquardt said. “I have a strong commitment to higher education and want to make it as strong and accessible as possible…Allocating resources is probably the biggest issue we face in Utah. We’ve got to have more adequate funding and I’ll work to make that happen.”

The Board of Regents is the state’s top higher education governing body, composed of 16 voting members who are appointed by the governor to serve six-year terms, and one student regent who serves a one-year term. There are also two members from the State Board of
Education appointed to serve as non-voting members.

Huntsman appointed U senior Basim Motiwala, who is studying political science and health, as student regent in June, and he began working with the Regents in July.

Marquardt received a bachelor’s degree in management, a master’s in business administration and law degree from the U in the early 1980s.
“I had a fantastic experience at the University of Utah when I was a student,” Marquardt said. “I’ve stayed involved with the school in various ways and I’ll do my best as a regent to continue supporting the university.”

Nolan Karras, former Speaker of the Utah House of Representatives, Utah gubernatorial candidate and regent since 2001, said Marqaurdt’s higher education experience and professional background make him a valuable asset to the board.

“He’s a top quality guy,” Karras said. “He’s got a ton of experience and will be a great fit. I think we’re all excited to have him on board.”
Marquardt will attend his first Regents meeting on Sept. 5 at the College of Eastern Utah.