Ute fans should give Ludwig another chance

By Nicholas Pappas

The student section at Utah football games is a passionate bunch. Nearly every game after a four-and-out series, the wild-eyed fans cup their hands to their mouths, look toward the men in headsets, and begin a chant that ends careers:

“Fire Ludwig!”

These are also the same fans who paint their faces red and go shirtless in subzero temperatures.

A lot has been made of the contract extensions this offseason. Offensive Coordinator Andy Ludwig was the only assistant on the staff who wasn’t given a raise. Defensive Coordinator Gary Andersen’s salary was given a boost from $182,500 to $193,000, an increase of more than 5 percent.

Ludwig’s salary will remain a paltry $177,500. I’m not sure how he can live with the price of gas. Still, if you ask the rabid MUSS, he’s getting about $177,500 more than he deserves.

Last year was an offensive travesty. Louie Sakoda was given national accolades for a reason. It felt like he was punting more than the offense was completing passes. The Utes ranking of 7th in total offense in the conference sounds good. It’s too bad there are only nine teams in the MWC.

These numbers alone should be enough to send Ludwig away with a piece of cardboard and a magic marker, but numbers don’t tell the sordid story of the Utes’ last two seasons.

Injuries have limited the team considerably. Quarterback Brian Johnson, the most important sprocket in the machine, hasn’t had a complete season. Heralded running back Matt Asiata has had one more play than Ludwig himself. Brent Casteel, our best wide receiver, was viewing most of the games from the sideline.

In retrospect, the healthier lineup back in 2005 showed the true ability Ludwig has to run a team. The Utes led the league in total offense and finished 12th nationally.

Seventh out of nine is awful. Twelfth out of 110 is exceptional.

Utah fans are spoiled rotten by the Urban Meyer years. He gave us the dessert of a spread offense, a cherry on top in Alex Smith, and we licked the bowl clean.

Ludwig’s offense is not dynamic, but winning is what matters. I would sacrifice flash for the flashing lights on the scoreboard. Moving chains wins games. No one knows this better than Ludwig.

He is also an important mentor for future quarterbacks. He coached David Carr to the No. 1 overall pick back in 2002. Billy Volek set the NCAA record for lowest career and season interception percentage during Ludwig’s tenure.

Kyle Whittingham didn’t give Ludwig a raise, and he doesn’t deserve one. What he does deserve is a chance to prove he can succeed with a healthy lineup. It’s something he has done in the past. Silence at “Big House” would go far in silencing the chants at home.

Nick Pappas