Hole in the wall

By Sarah Custen

The best part about Utah8212;the thing that a lot of outsiders may not know8212;is that it is truly unlike anywhere else. It’s unique, it’s maybe even a bit freaky, and Gilgal Sculpture Garden is a prime example of what makes Utah so special and strange.

Located in the middle of a residential Salt Lake neighborhood (at 749 E. and 500 South), the small garden was originally the backyard of Thomas Battersby Child Jr., a mason by trade and former Latter-day Saint bishop. Throughout the mid-20th century, Child challenged himself to “create a sanctuary or atmosphere in (his) yard that (would) shut out fear and keep one’s mind young and alert to the last, no matter how perilous the times.” The result amounts to 12 original sculptures and more than 70 engraved stones bearing words from scripture, poetry and literature.

The sculptures range widely in style, subject matter and material, including a giant sphinx with Joseph Smith’s face and a self-portrait of Child with legs made of brick that also serves as a monument to the masonry trade. The fact that many of the stone engravings are misspelled only makes the garden that much more interesting. There are benches, garbage cans and pamphlets that let you know this is an official garden and not just a glorified backyard. So you can bring a picnic, a date or a friend and see how many typos you can count in this true Utah anomaly.