Students should take advantage of concealed weapons

By Andrew Cengiz

School shootings have dramatically increased in the United States since the Columbine Massacre in 1999. The U.S. Secret Service Safe School Initiative was published in February of 2002. According to the USSS, their researchers “studied 37 incidents involving 41 student attackers.” In all incidents, more than half had been halted before law enforcement officials arrived.

The study states there were only three cases where law enforcement officers discharged any weapons during the incident. A lot of these attacks stopped only after the suspect was subdued by teachers or students, stopped on his or her own or killed himself or herself.

The USSS also said, “half of the incidents lasted 20 minutes or less.” Because these incidents are so short, it seems nearly impossible for law enforcement to arrive at the scene. Even the U’s campus police would have trouble getting to the scene before the situation escalates.

To minimize the damage in an on-campus shooting, students need to overcome their fear and take advantage of their right to carry concealed weapons.

There are many reasons why some feel guns shouldn’t be allowed on campus. Many of those same reasons keep students from carrying. First, theft possibilities are high in dorms. Purchasing a gun safe easily solves this problem. They’re inexpensive and will help prevent any theft of the firearm.

Another concern involves students and faculty carrying firearms. Carriers might not be properly trained in shooting and might hit innocent bystanders if they are forced to defend themselves.

The Founding Fathers didn’t give us the right to bear arms thinking every American would be a perfect shot. But if you’re not comfortable shooting a gun, frequent trips to a local shooting range will improve your comfort level and aim.

Another fear is that a gun will go off and accidentally shoot and hurt someone. Keeping the gun in its holster helps to prevent this. Today, guns are manufactured with several safety locks and when in a holster, the trigger is never accessible. Again, practice with one’s firearm will greatly minimize the chance of a gun going off.

U students need to take advantage of the right they have to carry concealed weapons on campus. Utah is the only state in the country that allows all of its state colleges, nine total, to carry concealed weapons, according to Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. As Americans, we have the right to bear arms and to defend ourselves; we need more of our students to take advantage of this right given to us by our Founding Fathers. “Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property,” Thomas Paine said.

Some people fear others who carry concealed weapons might snap and pull out their lawfully-owned gun and go on a rampage themselves. However, the USSS said this is rare. “Incidents of targeted violence at school are rarely impulsive. The attacks are typically the end result of an understandable and often discernible process of thinking and behavior,” the study said.

The ideal goal here would be to help such people before they do something like shoot up the school, but until that perfect day, we’re going to need guns.

Andrew Cengiz