U, USU rivalry about the money

By Liz Carlston

For the past 116 years Utah State has touted its football games with the U as being one of the state’s premier rivalry games. After the Utes’ 58-10 blowout last week, the “rivalry” claim is erroneous as the Aggies were handed their 11th straight loss, with an average margin of 25 points spanning those games. It’s obvious that on the field USU is not up to par with the U, yet it continues plugging the rivalry claim because of the money that a lot of hype can bring.

USU spokesman Zach Fisher couldn’t confirm how much money the Aggies made Saturday, but he opposed the idea that the game was pitched as a rivalry in an effort to make more money. He instead referred to the fact these teams have been playing each other since 1892.

“Of course we want it to be a rivalry again,” Aggies running back Curtis Marsh Jr. said. “I think all we have to do is beat them once. If we can do that, at least once, everything will come back.”

That won’t happen. It’s not a rivalry when the total score for the Utes’ last three trips to Logan is 154-16. According to The Utah Statesman, even USU head coach Brent Guy said it was about the money. He would not name a starter for Saturday’s game because, “people will buy a ticket and come see their starters. We will announce the starter as soon as we get the football. So you better get a ticket and come see.”

The Aggies hosted the Utes in the brand-new 25,000-seat Romney Stadium, but only 19,061 fans showed up in person for the game. The Salt Lake Tribune reported that USU paid the U $50,000 to play (Michigan paid the U $800,000). This expense was most likely offset by the higher admission price, as USU charges $15 to 20 more per ticket for games against the U.

It’s sad that USU claims it stands rival to the U in an attempt to fill empty seats and the U goes along with it.

An NCAA study released last spring revealed that only 16 of the 119 programs in the bowl subdivision (formerly Division I) turned a net profit over the 2004-2006 period. The study noted that while total revenues rose by 25.5 percent during that span, expenses increased 23 percent.

Despite a 3-0 record and BCS ranking, U athletics director Chris Hill told The Salt Lake Tribune the Utes expect to gross a profit of only $868,598.87 this season. While a BCS ranking allows teams to play in lucrative bowl games and grants national television exposure, it doesn’t ensure a team’s long-term profitability. According to a 2005 CNNMoney.com article, the Fiesta Bowl paid $30.5 million to Utah and opponent University of Pittsburgh. The teams split the money with the other schools in their conferences, leaving the Utes with a net profit of around $2 million.

For 2010, the Utes have elected to let USU keep its $50,000 as they’ll skip the trip to Logan and instead play Notre Dame. It’s just as well. It’s not like we’re missing out on the rivalry element or excitement. It’s about time the U looked out for its own interests.