Utes dominate Air Force over weekend

By Paige Fieldsted, Staff Writer

The Utah women’s volleyball team was dead set on redeeming itself from its loss to Wyoming last weekend8212;consider its dominating 3-0 win over Air Force as mission accomplished.

Utah’s offense came alive as nine different Utes registered kills, giving them a season-high .403 hitting percentage as they beat Air Force 25-9, 25-17 and 25-13.

“We played well and really stayed focus on executing,” said head coach Beth Launiere.

Emillie Toone and Cinthia Silva led the Utes with six kills apiece. Utah had five hitters with kill percentages above .600.

Utah also looked strong on defense as it earned 11 blocks and forced 22 Falcon errors, holding them to a negative hitting percentage.

The switch to the 6-2 offense was one of the biggest reasons for the step-up defensively and offensively. Not having a setter on the front row gives Utah an opportunity to use some of its height to help out with the block.

“The block is bigger and there are always three hitters on the front row, so it gives up more options offensively too,” Chelsey Sandberg said about the offense.

With the switch, both Utah setters got to see action as well. Abby Simmons started her first game at Crimson Court and earned 17 assists in the match, but shared the setting responsibility with sophomore Stephanie Shardlow throughout the match.

“Both setters can get the job done,” Toone said, “which allows us to focus on the block.”

Several freshmen got to see court time as Jennifer Lanting, Danielle Kilpack and Sarah Hibbert all subbed in for starters later in the game. The three added five kills in the game.

“It’s so important to play them,” Launiere said. “They know their role on team but it’s always good to get them in.”

The win gives the Utes their first MWC win of the season and snaps their three-game losing streak.

“It’s a confidence builder,” Toone said. “Both teams were 0-2 in conference coming in and we knew we had to stay focused and battle. To come out with the win is great.”

Launiere said that while the win was a great rebound after the Wyoming loss, the team is still a long ways from where it wants to be and has several areas that need improvement.

Defense is the biggest focus for the Utah team right now.

“We’ve always been good on defense,” Launiere said. “Blocking and holding teams to low percentages and we just haven’t been consistent with that this year.”

Changes to the lineup are another area the Utes will be focusing on in the upcoming weeks.

In addition to implementing the 6-2 offense, the Utah coaching staff has also moved Lori Baird back to her home position at middle blocker.

“We’re not super comfortable with the lineup just yet,” Launiere said. “We have a lot to improve on in that aspect.”

Utah is also hoping to refocus its efforts on playing as a team, an aspect that was largely ignored in Wyoming.

“Wyoming really shook us as a team,” Launiere said. “But it’s good for us we’ve learned that no one is perfect and in the long run it will help us out.”

After four straight weeks of tournaments and road trips Utah is getting a much deserved weekend off before facing Weber State on Tuesday and hitting the road to take on TCU and New Mexico next weekend.

Lucas Isley

Lori Baird led the Utes with 5 blocks during there 3-0 win over Air Force Thursday night.