The Word

By Trevor Hale, Red Pulse Editor

Cold War Kids
Oct. 2, 7 p.m.
$18
In The Venue (549 W. 200 South)

California’s Cold War Kids attracted the attention of just about every blogger in the country after the release of their first EP and subsequent tours in 2005. Their fame continued to climb and by the time they released their first full length album, Robbers & Cowards, they were the critical darlings of the indie rock world. The band’s second album, Loyalty to Loyalty, was recently released and Cold War Kids have wasted no time getting out on the road to support it. The band’s clever and fluent mix of indie, soul, blues and straight rock sets them apart from a lot of the other start-ups looking to throw in everything but the kitchen sink just to get noticed. The Cold War Kids are the real thing and this show promises to be worth the trip.

Xibalba/City To City
Oct. 4, 8 p.m.
$6
Artopia (60 E. Exchange Place)

Hailing from Pomona, Calif., the boys from Xibalba8212;which means “place of fear” and is the underworld ruled by Mayan spirits of disease and death8212;are driving all the way to Salt Lake City for one show this weekend. With them comes some of the heaviest riffs and meanest vocals since Disembodied called it quits nearly a decade ago. The darkness of Xibalba will be countered by the fast-paced good times of the reunited City To City, who are also scheduled to play. These local boys called it quits more than a year ago, but have since decided that the Salt Lake City Hardcore scene was just no fun without them. Their punk rock influenced sound and sing-along choruses will be a welcome return. xReflectx, Bring the Gallows and Collapse are also on the bill and all five of these bands make a great line-up and one hell of a night.

The Loved Ones
Oct. 4, 7 p.m.
$10
Kilby Court (738 Kilby Ct.)

If you’re in the mood for something a little more lighthearted on Saturday night, head over to Kilby Court to catch one of the most underrated bands of the year, The Loved Ones. Hailing from Philadelphia and made up of former members of Paint It Black and The Explosion, the band is fresh off a stint opening for Flogging Molly and will bring their punk-inspired rock “n’ roll sound back to Salt Lake City. The Loved Ones always put on a great, high-energy live show, so it’s no wonder Fat Wreck Chords scooped them up the second owner Fat Mike heard them. The band’s newest album, Build & Burn, was produced by Pete Steinkopf and Bryan Kienlen of the Bouncing Souls and is one of the better punk records released so far this year.