Men’s basketball offers inexpensive ticket options

By Marco Villano, Staff Writer

In conjunction with the Runnin’ Utes’ exciting home schedule this season, the Utes have come out with something fairly unfamiliar to fans.

Flexible ticket packages.

“We’re trying to build something special here, and we can’t do it without them,” said head coach Jim Boylen.

Boylen has come out with one of the most enticing schedules in recent memory. Season tickets can cost a pretty penny, but, what better way to entice fans to enjoy the tough schedule than with affordable ticket prices?

“It was important to me to play big non-conference games at the Huntsman and improve the overall game experience for the fans,” Boylen said.

Some of the packages the Utes have to offer are the Fantastic Four, the Family Four Pack and the All U Can Eat Special. Season tickets range from $100 to $360. With season ticket purchases, fans will get precedence over anyone to order the 2010 NCAA Regional at the EnergySolutions Arena.

The Fantastic Four Package is a specific setup for the four big games the Runnin’ Utes are hosting this year. Prices of $28 (upper bowl) or $80 (lower bowl), will enable fans to watch the Utes play Oregon (Dec. 3), California (Dec. 10), Gonzaga (Dec. 31) and LSU (Jan. 6). Two of these teams made it to the NCAA tournament last season and should be tests for the Utes.

The Family Four Pack provides tickets to every game except BYU. It contains four tickets, four hot dogs, four drinks and a parking pass for $508212;a good ploy to draw Ute fans in while they’re young.

The All U Can Eat Special features specific games and is designed to draw a crowd for the games that don’t get a lot of attention. A few of the teams that are included in this special are Weber State, Colorado State and SDSU. With the ticket special, fans will receive one Redzone ticket to six games, one hot dog, all-you-can-drink soda and all-you-can-eat popcorn for $15.

Boylen said he understands the fans are just important as the performance of his team. An avid attendee at Utah football games, Boylen is known for his inspirational speeches in between the third and fourth quarter pumping up the U with an entertaining pep rally. Although it’s his second season at the U, he truly has a passion for the fans.

“I am very thankful for the support they’ve given us,” Boylen said. “I hope they will take advantage of the new ticket packages we have available this season.”

This would be a good year to buy season tickets for Ute basketball. They made it to the post season last year for the first time in three seasons, and most of their starters are returning. If Utah is to have a great chance of playing in the NCAA Tournament this season, it needs to play well in its non-conference schedule.

“I am excited about our team and the opportunity we have this upcoming season,” Boylen said. “We established a foundation last year and now have some momentum.”