Walk-ons aid Runnin’ Utes

By Marco Villano, Staff Writer

Imagine this: You’re a stand-out basketball player coming out of high school, but don’t have any prospective colleges taking a look at you. Of course, college is on your mind, but so is playing basketball at the next level. You come to the U and find the Runnin’ Utes holding open tryouts for students, so you decide to try out, and make it.

Three lucky guys took that same chance.

Head coach Jim Boylen implemented open tryouts as soon as he took the coaching job last season. He felt that this is the “school’s” team and students should have the opportunity to be a part of it on the court.

“Hopefully, we can bridge that gap between a Division 1 athlete and the students that go to school here,” Boylen said. “I don’t want that gap between a regular sports team and a regular student body. I also wanted to have more publicity with the MUSS. I want them part of it.”

Walking onto a Division 1 basketball team is no cakewalk. The guys trying out have to bring a lot of heart with them. Boylen said that students trying out for the team have a target on their backs. The players that made the team by scholarship have the mentality that these guys aren’t good enough.

Sophomores Tre Smith and John Downie walked on the team last season as freshmen. Both saw little playing time, but the experience was something neither of them expected.

“It’s nothing like high school,” Smith said. “The intensity of the coaches and the toughness of the players is just totally different.”

Smith and Downie will likely see little playing time once again this season because of the depth the Utes have. But they bring a good game to practice for the starters to play against.

This season there is one newbie to the group.

A third walk-on, Kyle Perkins, made the team this season after transferring from a junior college in Colorado Springs. He came to the U to attend medical school, but felt like he could do something other than hit the books. He heard about an open tryout and, with his prior college basketball experience, thought he’d give it a shot.

“I just love the game of basketball,” Perkins said. “I thought I’d have a chance (of making the team) but I knew there was going to be some competition.”

Although they didn’t get immediate playing time, all three of these guys have something to offer in practice. Smith has sound skills at the point guard position and has the smarts to run the team. At 6 feet 8 inches and 225 lbs., Downie has the size and physicality to match anyone on the team. Perkins is also a very strong forward and can shoot the ball well.

“I’m real happy with all three of them,” Boylen said. “All three of the guys we just added are tough kids and competitive kids and play without fear. That’s a big part of it.”

Tyler Cobb

Tre Smith showed up for lasts seasons open tryouts and was one of two walk-ons that made the team. Coach Boylen doesn?t want a gap between students and players and hopes that open tryouts will help bridge that gap.