Team uses break time to prepare

By Paige Fieldsted, Staff Writer

The Utah swim and dive team hasn’t had a meet in more than two weeks and, because of the long layoff, has spent its time doing intense training and team bonding.

Head coach Greg Winslow used the break to his advantage, getting more workout time out of his swimmers and divers.

“We had the kids working out a lot more then their usual 20 hours a week,” Winslow said. “We’re just focusing on aerobics and conditioning.”

The Utes also used the extra time over fall break to build team spirit and unity.

“We spent a lot of time bonding and really getting the freshmen to feel like they’re part of a team, rather than just the new kids,” Winslow said.

Utah has spent its time preparing for its first home meet on Saturday against the University of Denver.

The Utah women’s team, with a 5-0 record, will look to continue its unbeaten streak. The women were ranked for the first time in school history at No. 24 after defeating the San Diego Aztecs two weeks ago.

The men’s team will look to get its first win of the season after it suffered losses to Boise State and Washington during opening weekend.

Last year when the Utes traveled to Denver, both the men’s and women’s teams returned home with losses.

This year the Utes will have to swim some of their fastest times if they hope to avoid losing to Denver’s No. 5-ranked men’s team and No. 10-ranked women’s team.

“Denver is really well coached,” Winslow said. “Their men are strong in freestyle events and the women have a lot of good breaststroke swimmers and freestylers.”

Despite the tough competition ahead of them, Winslow said his team is excited to swim against a national-caliber team.

“This is a really good opportunity for our men to swim against some nationally ranked swimmers and see where we stand,” Winslow said. “The women’s team was ranked for the first time a couple of weeks ago and this is a chance for us to defend that ranking and really show the country what our women’s team has.”

The Utes are also looking forward to being able to swim at home in front of their friends and family and show off all their hard work.

“They’re in the water at 6 a.m. four days a week,” Winslow said. “We’re excited to show the U how hard we’ve been working and what we’re all about.”

The meet will begin Saturday at 1 p.m. in the Ute Natatorium.