SDSU a welcome vacation for Utes

By Nick Pappas

I had this great plan.

While the rest of the students shelled out a cool $132 to park miles away from their classrooms, I took a mountain bike out of storage and went green. I grinned as I pedaled right to the OSH doors, laughed at cars prowling for spots and gave a knowing nod to fellow riders.

That’s before the weather went from green to gray. This last week has been hell. At some point I forgot it snows in Utah. I am spending $3 in the pay lots for the benefit of driving with a warm heater. Days like these make me want to pack my bags and move to California.

This is why I’ll never understand why the San Diego State Aztecs are so horrid. How hard could recruiting be at that school?

Imagine head coach Chuck Long says to the incoming recruit, “This is the campus. And, if you weren’t aware, we’re in San Diego right now.”

Wyoming is understandably bad. I imagine hell looks and smells a little like Laramie, Wyo. UNLV’s futility makes sense. The starry-eyed freshman may love “Sin City,” but his mother will nix that idea quickly &- she didn’t raise a fool.

San Diego8212;for lack of a better word8212;is paradise. The sand is soft and the beaches endless. It never rains and it’s never cold. The city has pro football, pro baseball and real professionals in Tijuana, Mexico, just a short drive away.

The Aztecs, however, are dreadful. So bad I had to write half a column of filler. There is no conceivable way the Utes will lose in San Diego. Can’t we just mark this one as a win and let them relax on Coronado Island?

San Diego State is second-to-last in rushing defense, allowing 274 yards a game. With its final future losses against Utah and against Air Force’s No. 4 rushing offense in the nation, the Aztecs should make a strong push for dead last.

Their passing defense is better, though. It’s only No. 111 of the 119 teams in the FBS. Combine that futility with the third-worst offensive yards per game on the ground, and the Aztecs’ cozy spot in ESPN’s Bottom 10 is well-deserved.

Let’s give credit where credit is due. The Aztecs were able to hold BYU to only 104 yards on 37 rushing attempts last week. Unfortunately, they also gave up 317 yards passing and three touchdowns to Max Hall. San Diego State also fought hard and beat the point spread against the Cougars. Granted, it shouldn’t be too hard when the team is a 37-point underdog.

Look for more of the same on Saturday. It will be nice to see how our second team does after halftime. Anyone traveling with the MUSS should bring a helmet in case Utah wants to take a few plays off. I personally wouldn’t mind seeing Runnin’ Utes head coach Jim Boylen dressed in red and roaming the defense as a middle linebacker.

To be blunt, San Diego State is bad8212;and a blessing. It’s summer vacation in the middle of November. Hopefully the Utes can enjoy the Gaslamp District before coming home to turn out the lights on BYU’s season.

Nick Pappas