Utes use California weekend to take care of MWC business

By Chris Kamrani, Asst. Sports Editor

Ten games into an undefeated season, Utah is headed toward a great vacation climate.

The Utes, however, have only one thing on their mind: business.

“This is a business trip,” said quarterback Brian Johnson. “We go down with one goal in mind and that’s to come back 11-0.”

The No. 8 Utes (10-0, 6-0) are two weeks away from perfection and head to sunny Southern California to take on the dismal 1-9 San Diego State Aztecs. The forecast in San Diego calls for sunny weather all weekend and the high on Saturday is supposed to be 80 degrees.

But the key for head coach Kyle Whittingham’s bunch will be something much more important than a simple vacation in SoCal8212;if the Utes emerge victorious over SDSU, they will have clinched a share of the Mountain West Conference title.

“Nothing is on our mind except them,” Whittingham said. “We can guarantee ourselves at least a share of the conference title with a win and our focal point is getting that done on Saturday.”

It would be the first time since Whittingham took over as Utah’s head coach that the Utes would have a taste of being at the top of their conference.

It’s no surprise coming off a historic win, 13-10 against TCU, that it would be reasonably difficult to channel all that energy and attention toward the worst team in the MWC and potentially the nation.

One thing the Utes could certainly use the showdown with the Aztecs for is an offensive springboard of sorts to get into a rhythm heading into the always-huge matchup against rival BYU, on Nov. 22.

“We’ve just got to go out and try to find a way to make the plays to put ourselves in the end zone,” Johnson said. “I think we’ve had a couple big missed opportunities the last two weeks. We just gotta find a way to get into the red zone and score touchdowns.”

Two 13-point games in a row for a top 10 team doesn’t exactly spell domination, but in games at New Mexico and at home against arguably one of the best defenses in the nation in TCU, the Utes got the job done when they had to.

“The best thing our offense did was not turn the ball over,” said Whittingham regarding the TCU game. “If we had been minus-2 in turnovers we would not have won the football game. That was the most important stat in the ball game.”

San Diego State shouldn’t pose nearly the challenge Utah’s last two opponents have been. SDSU gives up nearly 300 yards rushing per game and 192 yards per game through the air. It certainly plays right into the hands of Utah’s offensive strengths, which are pounding the football with tailbacks Matt Asiata and Darrell Mack and spreading out opposing secondaries with five receivers.

“San Diego State is another conference game and our last road game,” Whittingham said. “They are decimated by injuries and have lost a lot of good players. Nonetheless, we have to play our game and stay focused.”

The Aztecs are missing 19 of the 22 players they started the season with due to injuries and the Utes are ready to pounce with the MWC title on the line and BYU on the horizon.

“We all have a chip on our shoulder,” cornerback Sean Smith said. “When we combine as a team, we have to take that week after week and prove to ourselves why we are such good players.”

The Utes have heard it all this season.

They’ve heard talk of being overrated and predictions of letdowns, but as the team and coaching staff have mentioned many times before, the attitude and the notion of taking it one week at a time has gotten this team where they are this far into the season.

“We have been able to take a week-to-week approach through 10 games and fully anticipate being able to do the same thing this week and not catch ourselves looking beyond,” said Whittingham.

Nevertheless, Utah heads to San Diego for a date with the Aztecs and a chance to move to 11-0 for only the second time in school history. The last time the Utes had the potential to go 11-0, they went into Laramie, Wyo., and stomped the Cowboys 45-28 in 2004.

Although the Utes are favored by 30, they know that they need to show up and play with their best effort8212;no matter the opponent.

“If you’re not ready to play each and every week someone’s going to get you,” Whittingham said.