One world, one concert

By Chase Straight, Red Pulse Writer

Hipsters around the U are rejoicing after it was announced that Band of Annuals was to headline the Presenter’s Office’s latest musical offering, the One World Concert. The “it” band of the Salt Lake City music scene will join three other talented local acts to try to raise money and household items for The Road Home, a homeless shelter located next to The Gateway. The Devil Whale, Kyle Gray and Mason Jones will open up an evening of stirring acoustic music. The show will be part coffee, part community and everything in between.

The inspiration for the concert came from a restaurant, which shares the same name as the show, in downtown Salt Lake City that doesn’t charge customers for the food but rather lets them donate whatever they feel is appropriate. Following that idea, the One World Concert will be a free show, but all who attend are encouraged to at least make a monetary donation or even better, a donation of any kind of household item that might be of use to Salt Lake City’s homeless. Presenter’s Office staffers said the homeless situation is an urgent issue that needs to be addressed.

“I don’t think people realize how big of a problem homelessness is,” said Presenter’s Office Concerts Chair Tian Luu. “Most of the homeless are veterans and don’t have a choice in their situation.”

Guitarist and performer Kyle Gray said he appreciates that the concert is being used for a good purpose.

“Having a cause and raising money for something other than a venue is a great opportunity for people to help out the community,” he said.

Although the concert will be a good chance to contribute to society, the focus will be on the music and the atmosphere.

Band of Annuals has become the darling of the local music scene and has amassed a strong following with their heartfelt live sets and refreshingly classic studio work. Unlike most indie bands with roots in classic American folk, Band of Annuals stays away from the type of pretentiousness that makes other groups inaccessible to casual listeners.

The Devil Whale follows in the same footsteps of Band of Annuals with equally talented vocals and instrumental ability. Their music incorporates small amounts of pop melodies resulting in more energetic and friendly rhythms. The lyrics are so personal and caring that you might find yourself holding hands with the person next to you.

Gray, well-known in the U student community, will be taking the stage as a solo act for the first time in six months and is excited to try out his new material. Although he cites the Foo Fighters as one of his main influences, Gray’s comprehension of folk and acoustic guitar makes him more Bob Dylan than Dashboard Confessional. His relationship with his uncle, an accomplished African musician, and his experiences in South America lend elements of world music philosophy to his already expansive approach to singing and songwriting.

Mason Jones is the lead singer for The Tangerines, a band that rides on the spirit of rockabilly and southern rock with a penchant for tastes of Americana. This will be his first show as a solo artist so it will be interesting to see what he brings to the table. A U student and member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity, Jones is another local standout who will help make this show unique and fun for all U students and music lovers alike.

Refreshments will be provided, which includes plenty of java so you’ll never feel too far away from the coffeehouse scene. Bring a date or just spoon yourself because this concert is going to pull right on your heartstrings. The show starts at 6 p.m. in the Union Saltair Room on Dec. 10.