Don’t be fooled by promises made on infomercials

By Liz Carlston

Perhaps the holidays allow vacationers more time to indulge in television watching, because there seemed to be dozens of new infomercials during December. The Black Magic Pro-Dry Absorbing Cloth can not only pick up soda stains off the carpet, but can also scrub cars and polish countertops. If you’re experiencing a receding or thinning hairline, you can confidentially purchase the Just for Men brush-in hair gel.

The Snuggie is a blanket with sleeves that you can buy for only $14.95. It is touted as a product that keeps you warm while watching TV, reading a book or bundling up during a sporting event. Without this infomercial packed full of information, one would never realize how incredibly difficult it is for many people to get their hands out from under a blanket. It also makes you look like a member of the Emperor’s Royal Guard from Star Wars.

It’s easy to spot an infomercial with lines like: “A (amount) dollar value, absolutely free, if you call now/within the next (number) minutes!,” “But wait, there’s more!” or “But that’s not all!”

Infomercials are paid programming whose content is a commercial message designed to represent the viewpoints and to serve the interest of the sponsor. Because it is pay-for-play information, consumers are often put at risk and enticed with appealing offers on a product that doesn’t always live up to its promises.

For example, OxiClean is marketed by its sponsors as a “miracle cleaner” that can remove any stain. However, consumer feedback in some instances has been quite different. Reviews from www.infomercialscams.com say the product disintegrated bed sheets, left white spots on laundered clothes and left little holes in a pair of white pants. When product defects like this occur, beyond complaining to the manufacturer, there is help for consumers.

To assist consumers with getting quality products and services and companies with improving customer satisfaction, the Better Business Bureau works to facilitate communication between a company and the consumer. It serves to help both sides come to a satisfactory resolution to any complaints that might occur. Also, if a consumer complains about a product or service rendered and paid for, the Federal Trade Commission is in place to investigate fraud, and can lead to law enforcement action.

The best advice is, before you buy, make sure you do your research online and see what other consumers report about their experience with infomercial products. But that’s not all! If you have a complaint to add about a product or service you’ve purchased, be sure to file your complaint, especially if your Snuggie traps your arms and leaves your behind exposed to the breeze.

Liz Carlston