Buhler’s friends recall wit, talent

By Michael McFall, Staff Writer

Susan Manning placed her hand reminiscently on the photo of her former friend and employee, Matthew Buhler.

His older sister Jennifer Buhler had brought the photograph in that morning so that Manning, a University Campus Store manager, could frame it for his funeral. She tried to show some humor when she brought it in8212;the humor she and her brother used to share.

Many friends and family will miss the freshman chemical engineering major, known most for his dry wit, whose first year at the U was cut short. Buhler, 19, who died Jan. 16, is survived by his parents, Dave and Lori, his brother Spencer and sisters Jennifer, Emily and Allison.

Dave Buhler loved to hear his son rave about his classes and work whenever he picked him up from the U campus store. Buhler worked part-time at the store’s post office and customer service, a job he inherited from his sister Jennifer.

Erin Colvin, a freshman and friend of Buhler, said he was one of the funniest people she’d ever met. She remembers cracking up when she watched him wolf down three giant plates of breakfast food as fast as he could in an eating contest. As a reward for the feat, he didn’t have to pay for the meal. Colvin said she couldn’t believe that her friend, the athletic comedian trying to consume sausages and bacon like a vacuum, wouldn’t be with her anymore.

Dave Buhler said he remembers when his children were filing one by one into the living room to open Christmas presents last month. Jennifer was walking in behind Matthew, who suddenly turned and jokingly shut the door on her to keep her away from her own presents.

“He was always so much fun…and smart,” his father said.

Buhler finished his first semester of chemistry and math classes with straight A’s. His father said he wanted to explore engineering and was also a talented musician and athlete, moving from soccer to piano to football to guitar with the ease of a Renaissance Man.

In honor of his son’s passing, David Buhler and his Utah State Board of Regents colleague William Sederburg set up the Matthew D. Buhler Scholarship with the College of Engineering.

Members of the Regents and other U employees have already donated to the scholarship, said Laura Snow, assistant to President Michael Young.

A total sum of the contributions is difficult to calculate, Snow said, but they expect hundreds of contributions to join the dozens they’ve already received to help future students have the opportunities Buhler, unfortunately, cannot.

Matthew Buhler