Blame bad drivers, not phones

By Alan Monsen

According to an August report by VeriSign, more than 95.4 billion text messages were sent and received in the United States during the first six months of 2008. Cell phones seem to be man’s best friend.

Waiting in bumper-to-bumper traffic or driving to work seems like a convenient time to make some calls. However, texting at the wheel might be more dangerous than drunk driving, according to a U research project led by psychology professor David Strayer. Using a driving simulator, Strayer found texting leads to “inattention blindness,” in which drivers take their eyes off the road.

So, why not ban all cell phone use while driving? House Bills 95, 240, 281, and 290 with Senate Bill 149 are aiming to restrict wireless communication devices when operating a vehicle. But the real motivation remains unclear. According to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration report released in May 2008, car accidents have declined during the past six years. Cell phone use has not increased the amount of car accidents. In fact, car accidents are happening less. Legislation should focus to the long-term problem of reckless driving.

Rep. Carl Wimmer, an opponent of the cell phone ban and former police officer, said more laws will not stop accidents.

“When you drive down the street, there are already 15 regulations in place to make sure the driving is safe,” Wimmer said. “From no speeding to no tailgating, any violation with a car is already covered by the law.”

Adding more restrictions will not improve the safety of the roads. Laws don’t necessarily equal lawful driving.

The Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association agrees the answer does not lie with the politicians. The focus should be on the education and preparation of new motorists. CTIA, with Sprint Nextel, AT&T Wireless, Dobson Cellular Systems and other wireless companies, has developed an education program to help prepare and handle distractions while driving.

Any bills dealing with safer driving should focus on the actual driver’s education and preparation. Improving the driving test and making the driver’s license procedure more effective would yield better results.

Alan Monsen