Avoid Mexico for Spring Break

By Liz Carlson

Be wise and stay away from Mexico during Spring Break, especially if you plan on drinking a lot.

The U.S. Department of State has issued a travel alert for Mexico that is effective through Aug. 20, 2009 because of an increase in drug-related crimes. Recent Mexican law enforcement confrontations with drug cartels have resembled mini-battlefields as some cartels are using automatic weapons and grenades in a surge of indiscriminate violence.

“It is imperative that travelers understand the risks of travel to Mexico, how best to avoid dangerous situations, and whom to contact if one becomes a crime victim,” according to the State Department Web site. “Common-sense precautions such as visiting only legitimate business and tourist areas during daylight hours, and avoiding areas where prostitution and drug dealing might occur, can help ensure that travel to Mexico is safe and enjoyable.”

The State Department also reports that in recent years, dozens of U.S. citizens have been kidnapped in Mexico and several of these cases remain unresolved. Many areas along the border are experiencing rapid growth in crime, including robberies, homicides, petty thefts and carjackings. In Ciudad Juarez alone, Mexican authorities reported that more than 1,800 people have been killed since Jan. 2008.

“The university policy is to not travel to countries where a travel warning has been issued,” said Bill Barnhart, director of the U International Center. “In the case of Mexico, there is not a travel warning, but rather an alert, which is advisory and cautionary, regarding certain areas of Mexico like the U.S.&-Mexico border.”

Good judgment does not blend well with the inherent risks of traveling in Mexico along with a boatload of drinks in the sun.

According to a study from the University of Wisconsin, 75 percent of college males and 44 percent of college females reported being drunk on a daily basis during Spring Break.

After weeks of studying hard and enduring long classroom lectures, we all deserve a few days to put our feet up and relax during Spring Break. Be smart and have a good time. But know that there are potential dangers and Spring Break isn’t all about reckless fun and games. No one wants to be the friend of the person that didn’t come home.

Liz Carlston