Demolishing Sugar House block was a mistake

By Kiyan Sharifian

The plot of land on the south side of Sugar House’s 21st street, which has been reduced to a gaping hole, is more than an eyesore. It is wasted tax revenue potential.

Two development projects are underway, one led by Red Mountain Retail Group and the other by Craig Mecham. RMRG is ready to break ground on its portion of development, which is primarily renovation and a portion involving demolition. However, the parts owned by Mecham, which make up most of the dormant construction zone, are not expected to be developed for another year.

On March 2, Mecham met the city’s deadline to fill the hole with dirt. This Band-Aid is an ill-fitted solution slapped on the wound inflicted on Sugar House. The problem is not the approval and consequential demolition of the Sugar House block, but the extended period of time that this plot of land has stood unused. The buildings were demolished in November 2007, almost 16 months ago. Tax revenue and jobs have been sacrificed throughout this period in trade for a hole, filled with dirt, which, with patience, will grow into a vibrant development.

For those who rue the day this project came to pass, the transition has been difficult. Those who originally argued that the historic significance and culture of the area outweighed the need for modern developments especially recall the haste with which the buildings were demolished.

Janae Trujillo, general manager of the Blue Boutique, was manager of the Sugar House store at the time. She said enactment of the project affected everyone and the status quo at the time provided a “sense of community and diversity in the area,” which was unique. She went to court to fight for more time to move because her new location was not ready. The Blue Boutique lost was forced to vacate in the days leading up to Thanksgiving.

In addition to the intangible loss of history and aesthetic appeal, the tangible cost in lost revenue potential tosses salt on the wound.

Eric Nelson, vice president of Entitlements for RMRG, said the “downturn is not affecting (his operations) as much as the banking crisis.” For the same reason, some wonder if the buildings will be able to find tenants, but Nelson said RMRG “would not build a project which would not fill up.” Going back in time and undemolishing the building is not an option at this point, but the problem could be viewed as an opportunity.

As a part of the recovery package, billions of dollars in grants and loans are on the market for shovel-ready projects. The opportunity is ripe for a great proposal and lobbying effort to be made in the name of Sugar House. The sooner the project is completed, the better. Patience will not get buildings constructed or financing secured. Lingering in the past will not bring Sugar House culture back to the completed project. It is time to shelve the salt and heal the wound.

Kiyan Sharifan