Hits and misses

Don’t trash your campus
Most U students don’t have to wait until Earth Day to be bombarded by pitches to go green. Sustainability has become the latest environmentally friendly buzzword, and the U is no stranger to the movement. In the past few years, the U has installed a recycling program, made strides toward alternative energy and added a new student fee for sustainability projects. But with all the grandeur assigned to going green, students should examine their own habits. Helping install solar panels or lobbying for wind power only goes so far if you are still throwing trash on the ground. Garbage blowing around campus stands in contrast to the green movement the U seems to want to be a part of. The aftermath of campus events and concerts too often includes a good amount of litter.

When you toss your Happy Meal under your car in the parking lot, it will still be there when you drive away. While the U continues its march toward conservation, some students could focus a little more on the small things. MISS

Speaking of recycling
The U kicked off its recycling program during Fall 2007. The program, invaluable as it is, only accepts paper and cardboard in some areas. With the infrastructure now solidly in place, the recycling program should be expanded to handle other materials such as aluminum, plastic, glass and cardboard in more locations. Most cities in the Salt Lake Valley, including Salt Lake City, have comprehensive recycling programs, and it is time the U followed their lead. DRAW

Skate and die
Longboarding and biking is a popular way to traverse the U campus, especially for those traveling downhill. With the weather improving, chances are students will start to use these modes of transportation even more than in the past few months. Despite the benefits of clean transportation, longboarding, skateboarding and biking on campus can be a nuisance if students aren’t responsible. It isn’t uncommon to see boarders or bikers tearing through the grass, creating new goat trails or widening those that already exist. Bike lanes were painted on campus sidewalks in the fall, and should be used. In any case, the grass isn’t a campus highway or a motocross course. Shredding the grass isn’t necessary and converts a positive method of transportation into a negative campus presence. MISS

Making up for the food
The Chronicle has more than once accused Chartwells of selling students food that tastes like plastic. The U’s food service provider has finally made it up to us by buying utensils made from corn.

Recently, Chartwells has converted all coffee cups, water cups and utensils from plastic to corn-based biodegradable materials. Considering the huge amount of waste cafeteria cups and utensils must account for on a daily basis, using biodegradable items can do a lot to reduce the U’s eco-footprint.

These efforts are especially welcome considering Chartwells was under no obligation to change, and was generally self-motivated. Students who don’t like what they eat at the cafeteria can at least feel good about what they are throwing away. HIT