Student focus groups weigh in on proposed Universe Project

By Isabella Bravo, Staff Writer

Inland American, the developer chosen for the mixed-use development project planned for the parking lot west of Rice-Eccles Stadium, picked students’ brains last week in exchange for some pizza, soda and $50.

Inland representatives met with the students, who were placed in four focus groups with sizes ranging from eight to 14 people, to discuss different aspects of the Universe Project, including affordable student housing, amenities that students look for in housing, what kinds of stores students are interested in and parking concerns.

“Inland has a vested interest in providing what students need and what students want,” said Ryan Beck, a junior in business and student representative for Inland.

So far Inland and GSBS Architects, the architecture firm selected for the project, have described an outdoor, high-rise development with housing and office space at the top, small commercial vendors on the ground floor and a large grocery store.

Beck said much of the student conversation was focused on housing.

“They’re taking into heavy consideration all of the different kinds of people that could be living there and students are, of course, a part of that,” Beck said.

Sarah Frassa, a senior in architecture who participated in the focus group, said she and many others in her group emphasized making the apartments affordable for students.

Jacob Robins, a junior in international business administration, said that having a washer and dryer in student housing is important.

“I was leaning more towards the cheaper way, like $400, and to not put too much stuff in it, so that we can afford it,” Robins said.

Many students stressed that the Universe Project should help bring nightlife to campus.
“Where is there to go after 9 p.m.? I want to see places that would be open late,” Frassa said.

Although, according to Frassa and Robins, the students in their groups unanimously agreed that a grocery store would be an excellent addition to the campus, many students were divided about parking. During the complex’s construction, the U might lose about 940 parking stalls, said Alma Allred, director of U Commuter Services.

“Students are concerned about what they are going to do with the parking,” Beck said. “Inland wants to do something that is less intrusive for as little amount of time as possible.”

Robins said that parking is not much of a concern for him, because he lives right next to campus, but many students and community members are worried.

“Like what they were going to do during game days?” Robins asked. “And they said they didn’t really know. They are still looking into it.”