Soccer undefeated in first games of season

By Matt Sanchez, Staff Writer

The soccer team kicked off its 2009 campaign in an impressive fashion, winning its first two games of the season.

On a picturesque Friday evening, the Utes welcomed Utah Valley University to Ute Field. It didn’t take long for the Utes to jump all over the Wolverines, and they did it time and again to a 6-0 shutout in their opening game.

In the third minute of the game, sophomore defender Lauren Dudley scored her first career goal off a corner kick from senior midfielder Kelly Isleib.

“This is the highlight of my career so far,” she said. “If we keep playing this well, then no team can stop us.”

Less than five minutes after Dudley’s goal, the Utes went up 2-0 when junior forward Lauren Hair split the posts from inside the penalty box off another assist from Isleib. Isleib, who came into the game as the all-time assists leader in school history (23), seems to be securing that record with each subsequent game, as she earned two more assists, advancing her career total to 25. Senior Jen Christoffers was also credited with an assist on the play.

It was apparent the Utes did not want to have a repeat of last season, when they started 1-5, including being blanked by Arizona in their home-opener. This season, they went into halftime up 2-0 and held the Wolverines without a single shot on-goal.

“Our focus this offseason has been to outwork and outplay every team,” Hair said. “We came out with a lot of energy and enthusiasm and we were not going to lose.”

Less than three minutes into the second half, Isleib was back in the action, raising the score to 3-0 with a breakaway goal that went just over the goalkeeper’s outstretched hands. Christoffers was credited with the assist, her second of the game.

“It was an awesome start of the season and great for our confidence, especially getting so many young (players) in,” Isleib said. “We’ve been working hard for weeks and we were ready for this game.”

With the majority of the second half yet to play, Manning began subbing in his younger players to get them quality minutes. With 17 underclassmen on the roster, it was crucial to see just how deep the team was. The younger players did not disappoint as they upheld the shutout while scoring three more goals in the second half.

“It’s fantastic to see everyone come in working hard and together,” Manning said. “We have so many young players, so every minute they can get out there will help down the road.”

Sophomore forward Chelsea Forbes, freshman defender Zoe Van Gorder and sophomore defender Kellie Woodfield each scored a goal in the second half. The Utes scored their highest number of goals in a game since a matchup with UVU in 2007 and earned their first home-opening shutout since 2002.

“We have good camaraderie in the group and that will translate into good performance,” Manning said.

Sunday, the Utes traveled to Southern California to face off against Cal State Fullerton for their first road game of the season. In their first two meetings, the Utes had yet to beat the Titans, going 0-1-1, but history would not repeat itself as the Utes went ahead early and played great defense down the stretch to win 3-1.

Midway through the first half, Hair dribbled down the left side of the field, splitting the defense. Then Isleib wound up with the ball and put it in the back of the net to give the Utes a 1-0 lead. Holding on to their slight lead, the Utes showed great ball control in the start of the second half. In the 57th minute, Forbes picked up her second goal of the season, striking from the top of the box after receiving the pass from Hair. Seven minutes later, the Utes struck again. This time it was freshman forward Hanna Terry who was wide open for a shot to the left post. Hair again assisted on the play, her second of the game.
It took the Utes nine games to score nine goals last season8212;a mark they’ve already hit in their first two games of 2009.

“This is as talented a group of players as I’ve ever had,” Manning said. “So when I see something skillful happen, I am not surprised.”

The Utes will return home for a full week of practice before kicking off a five-game home-stand this weekend when they host Santa Clara on Friday at Ute Field. Kick-off is slated for 7:30 p.m.

Tyler Cobb

Lauren Dudley celebrates her first career goal in the third minute of Friday night?s game against Utah Valley University. The Utes went on to win 6-0 against UVU and also beat Cal State Fullerton 3-1 on Sunday.