Teams to face tough preseason schedules

By Elizabeth Frome & Matt Sanchez, The Daily Utah Chronicle

Women’s basketball

The women’s basketball schedule has been finalized for the 2009-2010 season, and just as coach Elaine Elliott promised, it’s packed with tough matchups that will demand nothing but the best performances if the team is to come away with wins.

Playing teams such as Minnesota, UCLA, Stanford, Louisville and Oregon8212;all in the preseason8212;will give the Utes the opportunity to see where they stand against some of the best programs in the nation.

Stanford, UCLA and Oregon finished No. 1, No. 5 and No. 7, respectively in the Pac-10 at the end of the 2008-2009 season, and promise to rustle some Ute feathers come November. Louisville finished No. 2 in the nation last year and could possibly be Utah’s toughest matchup of the season.

Elliott said she’s aware of the challenges the preseason schedule presents to her team, but is confident that even losses will help the team mature and develop more quickly than it would with an easier lineup.

“We had a difficult preseason (last year) and we benefitted from that…and the schedule this year is harder,” Elliott said. “The schedule is not in the best interest of a young team, but it’s a good opportunity to measure ourselves.”

Elliott said the team’s preseason schedule could prove to be beneficial in preparing for conference matchups against TCU, New Mexico, UNLV and San Diego State that kick off the Utes’ conference schedule.

Last year, the Utes shared the regular-season conference title with San Diego State and earned a victory over the Aztecs to win the tournament championship as well. TCU and New Mexico finished No. 3 and No. 4, respectively. Elliott said SDSU will come back even stronger this season, as no athletes left the program at the end of last year.

The Utes graduated three seniors who played big roles on the team, but Elliott said she is hopeful that returning athletes will be able to step up and fill the voids in leadership and performance.

The Utes’ 2009 starting guard, Morgan Warburton, named Player of the Year in the Mountain West for the season, was one of the graduating athletes, leaving a crucial position up for grabs. Elliott said she will be counting on returning senior forward Kalee Whipple to lead the Utes through the challenging schedule and help get the team in a good position for postseason tournaments.

Whipple said she’s excited for the start of the season and is confident that the Utes will be a challenge for some of the toughest programs in the team’s schedule.

“We’ll give (the big name schools) a run for their money and show them that we have a good program as well,” Whipple said.

The Utes’ season kicks off at home Nov. 3 against Westminster at 7 p.m.

Men’s Basketball

The men’s basketball team finalized the dates and times for its entire schedule for the 2009-2010 season.

Coming off their best season in five years, the defending Mountain West Conference regular season and tournament champions will try to build off that success in their new season.

Utah will play host to Findlay, Ohio, the reigning NCAA Division II champion, in an exhibition game Nov. 7.

The season officially gets under way when the Utes welcome Idaho into the Huntsman Center on Nov. 13.

The first major test for the Utes will come in late November when they play in the Las Vegas Invitational Tournament. They are slotted to face Illinois in the opener and then will play either Bradley or Oklahoma State.

Head coach Jim Boylen started a tradition of sorts last season by playing a difficult nonconference schedule. This year will be no different, as he has put together a schedule that he believes will test his team and get it ready for conference and postseason play.
After the Las Vegas Invitational, the Utes will square off against Michigan, Oklahoma and Illinois State in Salt Lake City. They will also travel to Baton Rouge, La., playing the Tigers of Louisiana State on Jan. 2.

“I schedule the tough games so I know my team when conference play comes around,” Boylen said. “I need to know our strengths as well as our weaknesses. On paper, our schedule looks tougher than last year, but it doesn’t mean anything if we don’t win.”

MWC play opens Jan. 9 when TCU visits Utah. The first meeting with rival BYU will come Jan. 30 when the Cougars host the Utes. The two will meet again March 3 in Salt Lake City. The Utes will close out their regular season when they play at Colorado State on March 6.

“I like the schedule,” said senior forward Kim Tillie. “It’s really competitive and good, that is why we work and practice so hard in the summer.”

The Utes will look to defend their MWC Tournament Championship when the tournament gets under way March 11 in Las Vegas.

Although the season is still nearly three months away, the team has been busy practicing and preparing for what promises to be a memorable year.

“We will be green, we will be young, but we will be competitive,” Boylen said.