U Job Fair offers struggling students more options

By Rita Totten

In the eye of an economic storm, the U’s Job Fair offered a ray of hope to students who are prepared to be professionals.

Career Services hosted a Student Job Fair on Wednesday in the Union for part-time work and volunteer positions, a 15-year tradition.

The number of employers at the fair was down from previous years. Although there are still plenty of jobs out there, the hiring outlook is lower than it has been in the past because of the recession, said Stan Inman, director of Career Services. The best markets weathering the storm, such as hospitality, science, engineering and customer service industries, are all doing well, he said.

“As far as finances goes, sales of financial products and insurance still very strong despite the recession,” he said. About 700 to 1,000 students attended the fair, according to Career Services.

“Students who are serious and talking to employers usually come away with two to three job offers,” Inman said.

Liz Jefferies, a junior in public relations, attended the job fair for the first time, looking for an internship or part-time work. Jefferies said she found it helpful.

“It’s good to just come out here and see the different opportunities available,” she said. “There are some jobs and ideas that I didn’t even think about.”

Jefferies said she would like to find an internship that would offer her a job.

“I’m not worried about the market,” she said. “I’ve never had a problem finding a job. If you are willing to work, you can find something.”

Companies want new graduates because they bring efficiency and lower costs, Inman said. The best window for employment opportunities is six months to a year after graduation.

“This time is critical,” Inman said. “That’s when employers are looking to hire you.”

UPS has been coming to the U job fairs consistently, looking for students who are dependable, have a good work ethic and can lift up to 70 pounds, said Jill Cude, UPS human resources recruiter.

UPS was looking to fill part-time delivery positions, though Cude said it was hiring less than it did last year. Cude advised students who want a job in today’s market to take advantage of resources on the Internet.

“Get your application online and follow up,” she said.

Students need to be aware of how they present themselves and their skills, Inman said. Job preparation, such as résumé reviews and mock interviews, is available at Career Services. Researching the employer and the position students apply for improves their chance of being hired, Inman said.

“The job market is still good for prepared students with the right skills and background,” she said.

John Johnson, an undeclared sophomore, said he was looking for a job at the fair but wasn’t too picky. Johnson said he was optimistic about the job market and has a few good leads.

“There is stuff out there,” he said.

Sean Sullivan

Students talk to representatives from Salt Lake County Parks and Recreation Wednesday during the Job Fair in the Union. The number of employers was down from years past but there were still plenty of jobs for students who attended.