Students, faculty connect on Facebook

By Katie Valentine

A new Facebook feature lets students find more face time with busy faculty.
The official U fan page on Facebook launched “FacultyFaceTime” this summer to showcase U experts in various fields. Each week a new discussion board is posted and a faculty member is featured to answer a selected student question. Students can post questions relating to the faculty member’s field for the next week, and the featured faculty member is filmed answering a question brought up on the board.

Faye Hale, a junior in human development and family studies, said she thinks it’s a good idea for students to connect to faculty and each other outside of a classroom environment.
The Facebook feature has the potential to cater to the interests of any student on campus, said Megan Colligan, an undeclared sophomore.

“We would love more of our (Facebook) fans to get involved in the discussions,” said U spokeswoman Taunya Dressler.

Not many students know about FacultyFaceTime, but the U is hoping more students will join and discuss topics.

Professors have been excited about FacultyFaceTime and have expressed interest to be involved, Dressler said. The first FaceTime discussion was with Marita Tewes, the chief horticultural specialist at Red Butte Garden. Her topic was on creating a small patio vegetable garden. Next, John Zone, chairman of the dermatology department, will be filmed this week answering a question from last week’s online discussion.

Next week’s featured faculty will be U President Michael Young.
There is another incentive beyond learning from faculty by posting on the discussion boards: Whoever submits the winning discussion topic receives a $25 iTunes gift card.
The U’s fan page has about 17,000 fans. They post videos, announcements and facts about U events. To get involved with FacultyFaceTime, go to the U fan page on Facebook, and click on the tab near the top that says FaceTime.