Aggies? lineup, coaches make them tougher than last year

By Matt Sanchez, Staff Writer

Tonight the U football team opens its season against familiar foe Utah State. This will be the 109th meeting between the two rivals, but if you’re expecting the same old Aggie
football team, think again.

The Aggies are led by first-year head coach Gary Andersen, who left for Logan after spending nine seasons at Utah, the last four as the defensive coordinator.

Ute fans are familiar with Andersen and his passion for the game. He was an integral part of both the Fiesta (’04) and Sugar Bowl (’08) victories and now faces off against his former team right out of the gates.

“You coach a team to the Sugar Bowl, you take a job and then you have to turn around and play that team the first game of the next season,” Andersen said. “It’s an interesting scenario. Understand it’s a rivalry game and that it’s a big game.”

Andersen has brought a completely new coaching staff to Utah State. His offensive coordinator is Dave Baldwin, who recently held the same title at New Mexico. Baldwin, who is known for successfully running the spread offense, completely changed the football culture in New Mexico and looks to do the same with the Aggies.

The Aggies are experienced on the offensive side of the ball and are returning 10 starters from last year’s squad, led by junior quarterback Diondre Borel.

Borel had a breakout season in 2008 when he won the starting job after the first three games. He led the team in passing yards (1,705) and rushing yards (632), while throwing for 11 touchdowns and rushing for five more. Borel was one of seven quarterbacks in the nation to lead the team in both rushing and passing.

On the ground, the Aggies are led by redshirt sophomore Robert Turbin. Turbin rushed for 485 yards last year, scored a team-high eight touchdowns and averaged 4.6 yards per carry.

The man in charge of the defense at Utah State is now Bill Busch, who came to USU after most recently coaching the safeties and special teams for Nebraska.

Busch and Andersen have implemented a new pressure-style defense that features man-to-man coverage. They will rely on speed at all positions to confuse the opposing
quarterback and not allow him to take his time in the pocket. Ute fans should recognize this style of defense, as it’s the same that Andersen ran in Salt Lake City.

The defense is also experienced and will return seven starters. The coaching staff has moved some players around in the defensive scheme, where their speed will be utilized.
Senior safety James Brindley is fast, athletic and a ball-hawk. Brindley has six career interceptions and made 75 tackles last season (44 solo), which is a considerable amount for a defensive back.

On the ground will be senior linebacker Paul Igboeli, who is a preseason First-Team All-WAC selection. Igboeli has 242 career tackles and last season had six tackles for loss, four pass breakups, two fumble recoveries, one interception and one blocked field goal.

The Aggies will look completely different than they did a year ago and will try to pressure Utah’s inexperienced QBs.

Lennie Mahler/The Daily Utah Chronicle

The Utah State Aggies are led by junior quarterback Diondre Borel. Borel had a breakout season in 2008 and is looking to make headway against Utah?s dynamic defense.