Letters stolen from U?s sign, greek houses never returned

By Katie Valentine

Theft is the most common unsolved crime on the U campus.

Missing marquee

The most recent theft is the disappearance of the brass letters from the U’s front marquee. The thief, or thieves, stole the letters Aug. 6. The sign was left saying “Ivy of Utah, ounded in 1850.”

The U Police Department has no leads on the case. The U has removed the re- maining letters and ordered new ones so they will all match. The replacement will cost the U $5,000, which the U’s insurance will cover. The new letters will be more securely at-tached to prevent future theft.

Greek letters gone

But letters haven’t just been stolen from the U’s marquee. Sorority and fraternity houses’ letters have been stolen or van- dalized in attempted theft. More than 10 metal greek letters have been stolen dur- ing the past few months. The U Police have no suspects.
A month ago, someone tried to steal the pi letter from the Pi Kappa Alpha frater- nity house. Someone broke off one of the bolts and one of the legs of the letter, leav- ing it bent at a 90 degree angle.

Fraternity members of Pi Kappa Alpha did not see the attempted theft take place, said Madson Thompson, president of Pi Kappa Alpha.
Pi Kappa Alpha recently purchased re- placement letters for $500.

The Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity had its crest stolen from the front porch of its house last spring. The crest will cost the fraternity a few hundred dollars to re- place.
Someone also stole the letters from the Kappa Kappa Gamma, Chi Omega, Delta Gamma and Pi Beta Phi sorority houses. Kappa Kappa Gamma had all three of its greek letters stolen.

The gamma letter was taken during Winter Break 2008. The sorority replaced the letter in April, but someone stole it again before summer started. One kappa symbol was taken last summer. Recently, the remaining kappa letter was stolen. The sorority has replaced all three letters.

Chi Omega lost the letter O in the spring so the sign read “Chi mega, 1435 East.” The address numbers four and three were later stolen, and replaced, but the house recently lost more letters so the sign reads “hi meg.”