Be Well Utah comes to the U

By Trent Lowe

Mayors, Smokey Bear and prescription drugs will all culminate to make Utah a bit healthier.

U Health Care is teaming up with Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Utah to host the Be Well Utah health week on campus to put on several days of health-oriented events.

“It’s all things health care in one place to encourage healthy lifestyles,” said Chris Nelson, director of public relations for U Heath Care.

There will be a bike ride with Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker today, as well as a stroll through Red Butte Gardens with former Salt Lake City Mayor Ted Wilson. Smokey Bear will be on campus Saturday.

The U Health Care’s pharmacy department is heading the project in order to discourage people from throwing away the prescriptions or flushing them down the toilet and causing them to enter into the water system, Nelson said. An Associated Press investigation earlier this year found that a vast array of drugs, from antibiotics to sex hormones, were in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans.

There will be a medication disposal at the event, which will collect expired prescriptions in conjunction with the Salt Lake City Police Department.

“We want people disposing of it properly,” Nelson said. “There’s a danger of having expired prescriptions in the cabinets, just in case they get in the wrong hands.”

Attendees can receive free health screenings, lectures with health professionals and other activities, including recipe and cooking demonstrations.