Conservative Day sets good example

By Jonathan Deesing

Change and hope. These ambiguous slogans propelled Barack Obama into office, and many people resent him for it.

I cannot, however, fault Obama for at least recognizing the need for change in American politics, regardless of how much he has actually enacted.

There should be no question in anyone’s mind that there is something fundamentally wrong with our nation’s politics. The Republicans are complaining about everything the Democrats do and the Democrats are whining about how much criticism they are receiving. Not a day goes by without a liberal or conservative talking head spitting hate-filled tripe over the airwaves. Consequently, these are the people who benefit most from political problems. Without a firmly divided Congress, they would be out of a job.

Obama saw this and decided that he would try to change the nation, starting with his own party. I will not say whether he is doing a good job, but I will say that I am glad to see him doing something.

I felt much pride and reassurance in our country’s future after the “Conservative Day” on Friday, hosted by a number of on- and off-campus conservative groups, even though I was far from agreeing with the ideas being discussed there. Nonetheless, the main concept of the gathering pleased me immensely.

Those participating expressed a desire to return to their conservative roots of gun rights and fiscal responsibility, and though neither of these points are particularly revolutionary, they represent something very important: a desire for improvement. U College Republicans Chairman Drew Conrad explained that many Republicans recognize the need for change.
“There is a need for Republicans to have a voice and a strong presence,” Conrad said. They simply “don’t have a voice right now,” he said.

I must commend the U College Republicans for making a conscious effort to improve their lot, if only at the grassroots level, instead of simply complaining about it. Nothing in this country is going to be accomplished by complaining, and if recent events are any indication, people are starting to realize this.

“People are hell-bent on blowing up tiny issues, but they’re not getting to the solution,” Conrad said. “They want to attack, call names and go to extremes, but they need to be willing to compromise.”

To be able to analyze one’s own mistakes or shortcomings is difficult and generally something people loathe doing, but Friday on our campus, a political group did so.
As the educated future of this country, we must follow the lead of Obama and the U College Republicans. We must not simply sit back and complain about politics8212;we have to push for change. We have to admit our mistakes and improve upon them. Our lives, liberties and happiness depend on it.