Sundance deals give locals an edge

By Evan Frank

Every January, film enthusiasts and Hollywood stars come to Utah from all over the world to discover the next great indie film that the Sundance Film Festival is famous for offering.

Even though it is only September, the time to register for festival tickets has already begun. Being a student at the U has its advantages when it comes to what the largest independent film festival in the country.

There are several different packages a U student can register for. The Locals-Only Student Preferred Package costs $300 and includes 20 tickets to screenings in Salt Lake City and Ogden. This also includes two Festival Credentials and other perks. However, registering for tickets only makes the student eligible for the lottery. If selected, students will be assigned a purchase time at a later date. There is a four-ticket limit per screening, and a student I.D. is required at the time of pickup.

If a festival package is not what you are looking for, there are individual ticket options as well. Between Nov. 17 and Dec. 4 is the time to register to get individual tickets. Tickets are $15 each with a 20-ticket maximum per person.

Sundance gives students in Utah the chance to see upcoming filmmakers as well as established Hollywood heavyweights.

You can register online by going to festival.sundance.org/2010/boxoffice/.